'Up is down': McCarthy claims DOJ indictment of House GOP 'informant' makes Hunter Biden case even 'stronger'
During his months as chairman of the House Oversight Committee, far-right Rep. James Comer (R-Kentucky) has zeroed in on President Joe Biden's son, Hunter Biden. Comer has been touting "informant" Gal Luft as a key witness in his Hunter Biden probe, but Luft is now facing eight federal criminal counts from U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) prosecutors for the Southern District of New York — including one for acting as an unregistered foreign agent for China.
At a news conference on July 13, CNN's Manu Raju asked House Speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-California) to weigh in on the indictment Luft is facing and its relevance to Hunter Biden. And the speaker tried to argue that the indictment makes Comer's probe stronger.
Raju noted that Comer has "promoted" Luft as an "informant" in the Hunter Biden probe, adding that Luft has been indicted by DOJ and asking McCarthy, "Does that undermine the case at all?"
The speaker responded, "No, it wouldn't undermine the case. To extrapolate that even further, the Justice Department went after him while Hunter Biden received more money from the same foreign CEFC company that this informant did. Much more…. So, it would only make the case stronger that the government really didn't look into Hunter Biden."
After video of that news conference was posted on Twitter, political strategist Josh Stack slammed McCarthy's comments as an example of Republicans saying that "up is down," "left is right" and "good is bad."
Watch the video below or at this link.
- House GOP Oversight warns DOJ: 'Do not indict Hunter Biden before Wednesday' ›
- Trump whines Hunter Biden received 'traffic ticket instead of a death sentence': report ›
- Democrat trolls Jim Jordan over Hunter Biden plea deal freakout ›
- 'Raise hell': Republicans look to give themselves a pay raise after securing benefit cuts for the poor - Alternet.org ›
- 'I sure hope so': Comer unsure if he can prove President Biden took part in bribery scheme - Alternet.org ›
- Far-right lawyer Larry Klayman 'prosecutes' fake 'trials' of the Bidens — and gets ignored - Alternet.org ›