'Impossibly stupid': George Conway rips judge's decision to grant Donald Trump a special master
Conway is the attorney who Donald Trump was considering to be U.S. Solicitor General but asked to have his name withdrawn. He may be best known for successfully arguing a case before the U.S. Supreme Court and obtaining a unanimous 8-0 verdict, being an anti-Trump conservative activist, and being married to former Trump White House Senior Counselor to the President Kellyanne Conway.
“The opinion is almost impossibly stupid,” Conway tweeted Monday afternoon, referring to Judge Aileen Cannon’s decision for a special master. .
He pointed to an observation made by attorney Eric Columbus, who served at DOJ, DHS, and as a special counsel in the House and Senate.
“Judge Cannon noted 11th circuit precedent,” Columbus wrote, “that an indictment can constitute irreparable injury.”
Conway responded, saying, “But if he’s indicted, it would be for possessing and retaining documents he wasn’t entitled to possess and retain, and that therefore were … properly seized!!”
That caused him to conclude, apparently exasperated, “The opinion is almost impossibly stupid.”
Alabama attorney Michael J. Evans, CEO at American Legal Alliance weighed in, adding, simply, “I agree with George.”
Conway also retweeted law professor Steve Vladeck’s tweet that laments, “So much for the hope that Judge Cannon was bending over backwards to look like she was accommodating Trump. This is twisting the law into a pretzel in ways that are as unsupported in precedent as they are unlikely to be followed in any future cases. Just a sad day for the courts.”
- 'The legal term for this garbage': Experts rip judge for 'pandering' to ... ›
- 'A red herring': Bill Barr pans Donald Trump's request for a special ... ›
- Florida judge grants Donald Trump's request for a special master to ... ›
- 'Can’t recall ever seeing this happen before': Legal experts blast MAGA judge for rejecting GOP filing - Alternet.org ›
- 'Things are safer in the middle of Central Park!' Donald Trump jolted by DOJ's special master appeal - Alternet.org ›
- How Democrats can combat 'right-wing hackery' in the federal courts - Alternet.org ›
- 'So unfortunate': Maria Bartiromo and GOP congressman attack Trump’s special master pick in documents probe - Alternet.org ›
- Watch: George Conway questions judge's competence after her 'absolutely atrocious' Mar-a-Lago ruling - Alternet.org ›
- Legal expert assesses Trump-appointed judge's 'ironic' admission with her ruling for a special master review - Alternet.org ›
- Trump-appointed judge who granted his special master request 'abused' her 'discretion': federal panel - Alternet.org ›
- 'A disgrace': Legal experts blast judge for latest ruling in favor of Donald Trump - Alternet.org ›
- Judge Cannon’s rulings are so bad they raise a question that is 'impossible not to ask': ex-prosecutor - Alternet.org ›
- Missouri newspaper blasts federal judge for favoring 'loyalty to Trump' over 'loyalty to the law' - Alternet.org ›