Madison Cawthorn on Jan. 6 admitted he was armed and had carried 'multiple weapons' in his wheelchair
U.S. Rep. Madison Cawthorn (R-NC) in what is being reported as a video of him calling into right-wing extremist Charlie Kirk‘s radio show on January 6, said he was “armed” and had carried “multiple weapons” into the Capitol building inside his wheelchair.
Cawthorn, who has been labeled part of the “Sedition Caucus,” faced a lawsuit that argued – based on the Fourteenth Amendment – he is ineligible to serve in Congress, based on his role in the insurrection.
“How are you, Congressman? I wish this was under better circumstances. First of all are you safe?” Kirk, the head of the far-right group Turning Point USA, asked Cawthorn.
“Charlie, I’m safe,” Cawthorn replied. “As you know I believe in the Second Amendment as well as a lot of other members, so we are armed, we’re in a safe location. Can’t disclose where.”
“So, you know,” Cawthorn went on to say, “obviously having the wheelchair I’m able to carry many multiple weapons at one time. So you know, everyone around me is armed and you know, I think an armed society is a polite society, so I feel very safe. We don’t have any high nerves here. Everybody’s very, very calm, very sober-minded,” he added, despite multiple reports to the contrary.
The video, posted by PatriotTakes, has gone viral, garnering over 100,000 views in just over one hour.
Unearthed: Madison Cawthorn called into the Charlie Kirk show during the January 6th attack and said he used his wheelchair to transport \u201cmultiple weapons\u201d ahead of the Capitol riot and armed those around him.pic.twitter.com/AoQDaqSDjs— PatriotTakes \ud83c\uddfa\ud83c\uddf8 (@PatriotTakes \ud83c\uddfa\ud83c\uddf8) 1647267954
- Madison Cawthorn is having a very bad week - Alternet.org ›
- North Carolina newspaper slams 'deplorable' Madison Cawthorn for ... ›
- 'An embarrassment to our party': North Carolina Republicans blast ... ›
- How Madison Cawthorn may have doomed his reelection campaign - Alternet.org ›
- The GOP’s authoritarian MAGA insanity isn’t getting better — and it won’t: conservative - Alternet.org ›
- Inside the Jan. 6 committee’s 248-page motion to paint Meadows as Trump’s point man in bid to overturn the election - Alternet.org ›
- 'Complete and utter idiot': GOP strategist explains Madison Cawthorn's loss - Alternet.org ›
- Watch: Madison Cawthorn says Donald Trump created a 'dangerous setting' at January 6th DC rally - Alternet.org ›