Condi Rice turns tables on Fox News host: NATO 'unites' under Biden the way Trump never could
Former Secretary of State Condoleeza Rice on Sunday praised President Joe Biden after NATO united under him in a way that it did not under President Donald Trump.
"There's this worry among generals whom I've talked with," Fox News host Harris Faulkner told Rice. "Nobody wants a world war. But that [Russian President Vladimir Putin] would do something at this point that he might not have done a few years ago in terms of more of a land grab, the Baltics for instance. And because of Article 5 with NATO, what does that mean for us. We get involved in war. We can't go to war with a nuclear power."
"We have to make sure that [Putin] really understands that the cost would be extraordinary to try to cross an Article 5 line," Rice replied. "An attack upon one is an attack upon all. And so the Baltic states are indeed protected under that guarantee by the United States of America."
"If it looks like he is not going to achieve his objectives, there is a chance that he pulls up," she continued. "But I want to make sure that he does."
"So what we're doing in reinforcing NATO forces in the Baltics and in Poland -- NATO's eastern flank, if you will -- this is the way to make sure that he knows the costs would be very high," the former secretary of state remarked.
Rice suggested that Biden has been able to "unite" NATO to push back against Putin's alleged war crimes to a degree that former presidents could not.
"It is certainly against every principle of international law and international order, and that's why throwing the book at them now in terms of economic sanctions and punishments is also a part of it," she said. "And I think the world is there. Certainly, NATO is there. He's managed to unite NATO in ways I didn't think I would ever see again after the end of the Cold War."
As president, Trump actively worked to undermine NATO and even considered withdrawing from the treaty organization.
Watch the video below from Fox News.
- Biden and Putin to hold second call ahead of US-Russia security ... ›
- If Vladimir Putin doesn't invade Ukraine, thank Joe Biden ... ›
- Is Biden leading the US into a new Cold War? - Alternet.org ›
- After taking heat for praising Putin, Fox segments have gone to openly calling for his assassination - Alternet.org ›
- Jennifer Griffin has been Fox News’ voice of reason during the Ukraine crisis: reporter - Alternet.org ›
- Biden lets Trump tax favor for the rich to carry on - Alternet.org ›
- This Reagan White House alumni is ‘appalled’ by Fox News’ pro-Kremlin propaganda - Alternet.org ›
- Watch: Biden Mocks Trump at NATO When Asked What Happens if Former President Launches 2024 Campaign - Alternet.org ›
- Watch: Disturbing Fox News clip captures Trump boasting about his relationship with Putin as network shows body bags in Ukraine - Alternet.org ›
- Biden calls on Congress to pass legislation making right to abortion federal law - Alternet.org ›
- 'What in the neoliberal hell is this?' Biden suggests 'rational' GOP senators will act on guns - Alternet.org ›
- Lithuanian president calls for robust NATO expansion as Ukraine war rages on - Alternet.org ›
- 'Ridiculous' and 'Infuriating': Biden rebuked for continued opposition to Supreme Court expansion - Alternet.org ›
- Biden blasts 'outrageous' US Supreme Court — calls to change filibuster to codify Roe and privacy into law - Alternet.org ›
- How Trump’s 'isolationist' anti-NATO policy is 'living on through' Josh Hawley: report - Alternet.org ›
- 'Putin is getting desperate': National security experts warns that Russia’s leader won’t give up easily - Alternet.org ›
- How 'existential threat' Trump echoes 'war criminal' Putin’s talking points: foreign policy analyst - Alternet.org ›
- President Joe Biden speaks of protecting 'freedom and democracy at large' after arriving in Kyiv - Alternet.org ›
- How 'cold-blooded and detached' Ron DeSantis failed Ukrainians miserably: conservative - Alternet.org ›
- 'Storm clouds gathering': Report details worries in DC as Putin was preparing a full-fledged Ukraine invasion - Alternet.org ›