During a House Armed Services Committee hearing on Capitol Hill on Tuesday, May 19, Adm. Brad Cooper — head of U.S. Central Command (CENTCOM) — was aggressively grilled by Rep. Seth Moulton (D-Massachusetts) about the Iran war and the blocking of the Strait of Hormuz. The New England Democrat had very specific questions, but during their uneasy back-and-forth, Cooper took offense at a comment by Moulton he attacked as "entirely inappropriate."
Moulton, himself a veteran of the U.S. Marines Corps, told Cooper that Trump "has called for unconditional surrender" on the part of the Iranian government, asking, "Is that part of the plan?" — to which the CENTCOM leader responded, "We're presently in a ceasefire, we're executing a blockade, and we're prepared for a broad range of contingency."
But Moulton was unsatisfied with Cooper's answer, telling him, "Well, it doesn't seem to be going well. And I would like to know how many more Americans we have to ask to die for this mistake. Do you know?"
Cooper indignantly told Moulton, "I think that's an entirely inappropriate statement from you, sir, with all due respect."
The House Armed Services Committee hearing came two and one-half months into President Donald Trump's war against Iran, which led to the blocking of the Strait of Hormuz — a waterway crucial to the flow of oil in the Middle East. With the Strait blocked during the conflict, oil prices have been soaring. And higher oil prices are creating higher prices for a variety of goods, from food to electronics — as the cost of transporting them is rising.
Moulton, during the May 19 hearing, wanted specifics about the war — and he voiced his concerns about the number of fatalities and injuries.
Most of the deaths during the war have been Iranians. According to the New York Times, at least 1700 Iranian civilians have been killed during the conflict so far.
However, at least 15 members of the U.S. military have died as well, and hundreds of others have suffered injuries.
Trump is saying that the Iran war could end soon, but Moulton and other Democratic lawmakers are skeptical about that claim. And they fear that the war could drag on much longer than Trump is saying.
The 47-year-old Moulton has a long record of military service, serving four tours in Iraq. The Salem, Massachusetts native, whose district includes the Boston suburbs, was first elected to the U.S. House of Representatives in 2014.