'Everyone is saying no': Trump left with 'embarrassing' legal team as top attorneys refuse to work for him
According to Benen, the Washington Post reported:
Former president Donald Trump and close aides have spent the eight days since the FBI searched his Florida home rushing to assemble a team of respected defense lawyers. But the answer they keep hearing is “no.” The struggle to find expert legal advice puts Trump in a bind as he faces potential criminal exposure from a records dispute with the National Archives that escalated into a federal investigation into possible violations of the Espionage Act and other statutes.
He added, "The article quoted one prominent Republican lawyer saying, simply, 'Everyone is saying no.'” In addition to facing difficulties finding viable legal representation, The Post also described the former's president's current legal team as "embarrassing" and "surprisingly familiar."
"As the Post summarized, a former American president is currently represented by a legal defense team that includes a Florida insurance lawyer who’s never had a federal case, a past general counsel for a parking-garage company, and a former host from a propagandistic cable outlet," he wrote.
"It is, to be sure, embarrassing," Benen continued, "But it’s also surprisingly familiar."
The latest report follows a series of legal woes for the former president. Following his flurry of unfounded claims of widespread voter fraud, Trump faced deep scrutiny from legal experts and many top law firms distanced themselves from him and his campaign team. The MSNBC contributor insists Trump only has himself to blame for law firms' apprehension about working with him.
Benen concluded saying, "Trump might be wondering why good law firms keep hanging up when his office calls, but he has no one to blame but himself."
- 'Trump and his team should fear' the newly expanded Georgia ... ›
- Team Trump is testing the 'O.J. Simpson defense' because 'it erases ... ›
- Legal experts respond to report Trump attorneys now preparing ... ›
- Trump's legal team hoping affidavit is heavily redacted to save them 'embarrassment': former prosecutor - Alternet.org ›
- Legal experts believe Trump will soon 'get indicted' on criminal charges - Alternet.org ›
- Trump lawyer privately trashing his colleagues for making the former president's legal woes worse: report - Alternet.org ›