Far-right extremists use Twitter's new policy against anti-extremism researchers
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/?itid=hp_top_nav_opinionsTwitter on Friday acknowledged that it had mistakenly suspended the accounts of anti-extremist journalists and researchers as a result of its new policy being exploited by extremists.
According to The Washington Post, the social media platform discovered the oversight on Thursday, December 4, and had "corrected the errors and launched an internal review to ensure that its new rule — which allows someone whose photo or video was tweeted without their consent to request its removal — was “used as intended.”
According to Twitter, that led to a “coordinated and malicious” on a specific group of journalists and researchers. Multiple journalists had their accounts and tweets flagged. One of the impacted Twitter accounts belonged to Gwen Snyder, an anti-fascist researcher in Philadelphia. Snyder, according to The Post said "she believed her reported tweet did not break the rules but deleted it anyway, worried that any appeal she filed would take too long or ultimately fail. She suspects the rule could have a “catastrophic” chilling effect on other researchers working to expose extremists."
Twitter's latest acknowledgment comes nearly a week after it rolled out the new policy.
Images/videos that show people participating in public events (like large scale protests, sporting events, etc.) would generally not violate this policy.\n\nFor more on what is NOT in violation, read the full policy here:https://help.twitter.com/en/rules-and-policies/personal-information\u00a0\u2026— Twitter Safety (@Twitter Safety) 1638294164
Almost immediately after the social network made its announcement, it faced scrutiny for many of its confusing provisions.
- Marjorie Taylor Greene makes stunning admission that she has ... ›
- California Democrat urges Kristi Noem to use South Dakota National ... ›
- Multiple signs point to this weekend's rally for MAGA rioters being a ... ›
- New jobless claims hit a 52-year low — how will the media spin that to be bad for Biden? - Alternet.org ›
- 'Civil war is already here': Journalist says the right 'has a plan' for 'violence and solidarity with treasonous far-right' - Alternet.org ›