'Intentional deception': Mark Meadows releases damning details about Trump ahead of hearing with Jan. 6 panel
Multiple bombshell revelations involving former White House Chief of Staff Mark Meadows have come to light over the last couple of days.
Shortly after reports began circulating about his decision to cooperate with the House Select Committee overseeing the Jan. 6 Capitol insurrection, The Guardian's Martin Pengelly dropped another damning account from Meadows that includes details about Trump's presidency. Pengelly's latest report is derived from accounts detailed in the advance copy of Mark Meadows' forthcoming book, titled "The Chief’s Chief."
Back in 2020, the former president actually tested positive for COVID-19 prior to his first debate against President Joe Biden, according to Meadows.
"Donald Trump tested positive for Covid-19 three days before his first debate against Joe Biden, the former president’s fourth and last chief of staff has revealed in a new book," The Guardian reported. "Nonetheless, the stunning revelation of an unreported positive test follows a year of speculation about whether Trump, then 74 years old, had the potentially deadly virus when he faced Biden, 77, in Cleveland on 29 September – and what danger that might have presented."
Politico Playbook co-author and CNN contributor Rachel Bade is raising questions about the timing of the report considering Meadows' upcoming hearing with the House committee.
"Look, there are going a lot of questions about intentional deception here," Bade said. "The White House was very, obviously, desperate to make it look like Trump didn't have Covid."
Bade also wonders whether or not there will be any level of accountability for any of what has been made public.
She added, "They were willing to do anything to keep him on the trail. So putting the lives of Gold Star Families and the future president on the line there was something he was clearing willing to risk. My question is what sort of accountability will we see on this?"
- Mark Meadows agrees to cooperate with House Select Committee's ... ›
- January 6 Select Committee subpoenas Trump Chief of Staff Mark ... ›
- House select committee considers holding Trump Chief of Staff Mark ... ›
- Mark Meadows has a bizarre response when Trump calls the story about his early COVID diagnosis 'fake news' - Alternet.org ›
- Lawmaker highlights the hypocrisy in Mark Meadows' decision to withhold information about the Jan. 6 insurrection - Alternet.org ›
- Mark Meadows flip-flops on 1/6 committee — will 'decline the opportunity to appear voluntarily for a deposition' - Alternet.org ›
- Mark Meadows to face criminal contempt of Congress proceedings for refusing to show up for subpoenaed deposition - Alternet.org ›
- Meadows text messages reveal he secretly chatted with GOP members about an election overthrow plot - Alternet.org ›
- Revealed: Mark Meadows possessed 'insane' blueprint for military seizing ballots after Trump's 2020 defeat - Alternet.org ›
- Mark Meadows is having a really bad week — and Trump's is even worse - Alternet.org ›
- The Jan. 6 committee is making impressive progress — but it's also running a big risk - Alternet.org ›
- Analysis breaks down the significance of Mark Meadows' PowerPoint presentation - Alternet.org ›
- 'Never spent a night in there': Questions raised about Mark Meadows using a mobile home as his voting address - Alternet.org ›