Rupert Murdoch 'privately acknowledged' the realities of climate change — while Fox News hosts were publicly denying it
Fox News and Fox Business, both created by Rupert Murdoch, have never been shy about promoting extreme or ludicrous ideas in the hope of driving ratings. But what far-right opinion hosts like Tucker Carlson, Laura Ingraham and Sean Hannity claim and what Fox News executives actually believe can be two different things, and an article published by Vice on September 23 stresses that Murdoch's actions show that he takes climate change seriously.
It's important to pay close attention to what Fox News does as well as what it says. Fox News has been full of anti-vaxxer hysteria; yet more than 90% of Fox Corporation employees, according to The Guardian, have been vaccinated for COVID-19. Fox Corporation, CNN reports, has "quietly implemented the concept of a vaccine passport."
Many of Fox News' opinion hosts have been relentlessly supportive of former President Donald Trump. But according to author Michael Wolff, the 90-year-old Murdoch detests Trump.
Fox News has been full of climate change denial. But Vice's Geoff Dembicki emphasizes that Murdoch's actions certainly aren't those of a climate change denier.
Fox News spends most of its time portraying a reality its executives and journalists know doesn't actually existhttps://www.vice.com/en/article/n7byqw/rupert-murdoch-climate-change-fox-news-news-corp\u00a0\u2026— Jason Koebler (@Jason Koebler) 1632407319
In 2006, Dembicki reports, "Murdoch's News Corporation actually thought carbon pricing was a good idea. News Corp has meticulously documented its own carbon footprint since 2006 and sought to 'take a leadership role on the issue of climate change' by reducing it, according to hundreds of pages of publicly available documents reviewed by Vice News."
Dembicki goes on to say that in 2010, "News Corp was advocating 'market-based mechanisms to support carbon reductions' in the U.S. and other places."
"This is according to documents submitted to the Carbon Disclosure Project (CDP), a nonprofit group that has, for two decades, catalogued and rated environmental reporting from more than 300 companies, including Apple, Coca-Cola and Ford Motors," Dembicki explains. "No one forced News Corp to make disclosures to the CDP, which the group publishes in a database on its website. And far from altruism, News Corp's disclosures are cast as corporate self-interest. In 2010, for example, a filing explained that doing so would give the company 'valuable expertise when responding to mandated reporting requirements' under a potential carbon pricing system, should any country implement one."
Dembicki goes on to say that "News Corp has submitted yearly reports on its environmental progress to CDP since 2006, often receiving 'A' grades for its efforts from the organization." Ateli Iyalla, North American managing director of the CDP, told Vice that News Corp has "strong understanding of climate issues and climate risk."
"Vice News reviewed more than a decade's worth of those submissions, and the documents show a company that's taking steps to protect its operations and thousands of employees from a climate emergency it knows is getting worse, while giving a massive media platform to people who say the emergency isn't real," Dembicki reports. "The documents show that News Corp privately acknowledged climate change is making hurricanes worse."
- Fox News cuts away from storm press conference — saying it's ... ›
- Hurricane Ida deemed a 'poster child' for climate disaster as storm ... ›
- 'A shocking legacy': Malcolm Turnbull slams News Corp reporter to ... ›
- House Oversight leaders to grill fossil fuel execs for promoting 'disinformation' about climate change - Alternet.org ›
- A British radio host hoped to humiliate a climate change activist — and ended up humiliating himself - Alternet.org ›
- Never-Trumper calls Rupert Murdoch a 'domestic threat' over Tucker Carlson’s upcoming Jan. 6 special - Alternet.org ›
- White House adviser hijacks Fox News interview to blast 'absurd' and 'disrespectful' Peter Doocy - Alternet.org ›
- Fox News obviously edits video to make Biden seem racist - Alternet.org ›
- 'Cancer on Democracy': Steve Schmidt destroys Rupert Murdoch who 'monetized' Trump’s 'insanity' with 'hate' - Alternet.org ›
- 2021's climate disasters even shocked the scientists who study them - Alternet.org ›
- Fox News is killing its own viewers — and the Murdoch family is fine with that - Alternet.org ›
- 2021 was a climate change nightmare — and the worst may be yet to come - Alternet.org ›
- Wall Street firms are investing more in ‘climate intelligence’ — and keeping valuable info to themselves: report - Alternet.org ›
- Steve Schmidt calls for 'venomous and dangerous' Rupert Murdoch to be stripped of US citizenship - Alternet.org ›
- Trump accused of 'extortion' over attempt to force CNN sale to Rupert Murdoch: new book - Alternet.org ›
- State Farm axes new California home insurance policies citing 'escalating risk' of climate change: report - Alternet.org ›