Eric Trump gets pilloried after giving away the game about the Trump Org indictment on live TV
The Trump Organization and its Chief Financial Officer Allen Weisselberg found themselves in hot water this week when the Manhattan DA revealed an indictment alleging a pattern of criminal financial conduct dating back more than a decade.
While it comes as no surprise that the Trump Organization remains a major topic of discussion today, legal experts, observers, and Twitter users are also puzzled by the public comments about the matter from one person who probably should have been silent: Eric Trump.
Under normal circumstances, people under the heat of criminal investigation are well-advised to refrain from making any remarks about the matter. But the former president's son didn't heed that counsel.
Speaking with Fox News, Eric Trump made a number of incriminating remarks that led many to believe that his father's company is actually guilty of doing what it has been accused of. At one point during his appearance on Fox News, Eric criticized the Manhattan District Attorney's Office as he accused them of "focusing on $3.5 million to take down a political opponent" as he insisted "crime 'is rampant' and people are leaving 'dirty' and 'disgusting' New York City 'in record numbers.'"in record numbers.'"
"I mean, this is what they do, this is New York state for you," Eric claimed. "This is worse than a banana republic. It's truly horrible."
Does the lawyer for the indicted company that Eric is an EVP at know he's on TV? https://t.co/7udDv0VO41— Andrew Feinberg (@Andrew Feinberg) 1625192068.0
He even went a step further by weighing in on the alleged scheme the company is accused of. He dismissed the allegations describing the alleged kickbacks as nothing more than "employment perks." But that's conceding exactly the point at issue: The DA argues that the Trump Organization paid Weisselberg using these "perks" — such as renting him an apartment in New York City — to compensate him and avoid paying taxes. That's a crime, and calling the non-salary benefits "employment perks" doesn't reduce culpability. It confirms the prosecutors' account of events.
It didn't take long for viewers to began weighing in via Twitter.
"If you are on the Trump Organization's legal team, are you encouraging this?" Suarez asked. "Are you quietly sending emails and texts urging them to not say much for a while? "I'm not Hunter Biden" will not be admissible at trial."
@GOP_EthicsGhost @EricTrump @NewYorkStateAG @ericbolling @DonaldJTrumpJr @IvankaTrump If you are on the Trump Organ… https://t.co/xNbJgbJa09— Ray Suarez (@Ray Suarez) 1625196226.0
Attorney Bradley P. Moss wrote, "Clearly, no one at Trump Org has told the nepotism hires that commenting on the criminal matter is unwise. Run your mouth, Eric. Run your mouth."
Clearly no one at Trump Org has told the nepotism hires that commenting on the criminal matter is unwise. Run your… https://t.co/xJUpl6PrFr— Bradley P. Moss (@Bradley P. Moss) 1625194221.0
Guardian reporter Van Badham also had a message for Eric as she pointed out, "These things you are admitting to are against the law. That makes them criminal."
Dear @EricTrump, These things you are admitting to are against the law. That makes them criminal. Xx Van https://t.co/UM6J4Ln3SX— Van Badham (@Van Badham) 1625198850.0
I'm sorry but spare me this "well lots of rich people evade taxes" bullshit. Well yes that's the problem, innit?— Chris Hayes (@Chris Hayes) 1625193457.0
Eric Trump: https://t.co/pNtONWoDyy https://t.co/RYzElnCMA4— Parker Molloy (@Parker Molloy) 1625199641.0
@AndrewFeinberg Wow, did he just admit that they violated IRS Guidelines? Fringe Benefits are Taxable!!!!! https://t.co/2rGLFQdzlV— Kerwin Williams (@Kerwin Williams) 1625194954.0
@mikeljames21 @AndrewFeinberg And then there’s the whole part about intentionally hiding it all from the IRS...ya know, normal perks.— Cody Moffitt (@Cody Moffitt) 1625195730.0
- Don Jr. fears his father will lose — and the Trump family will be ... ›
- Trump throws fit at 'rude, nasty, and totally biased' New York ... ›
- 'Tip of the iceberg': Michael Cohen explains why he thinks Trump's ... ›
- Mary Trump names 3 Trump Org players who would turn on the ... ›
- Watch: Eric Trump clumsily claimed the LGBTQ community loves his ... ›
- Eric Trump mocked after he simply can't believe Biden won 80 ... ›
- Eric Trump hit with avalanche of tweets after insisting liberal 'cancel ... ›
- Yes, Trump should be 'thrilled' by this week's news — indictments and all - Alternet.org ›
- Trump biographer says the ex-president is 'all over' his company's indictment — even if he isn't named - Alternet.org ›
- New report reveals how the media has 'widely misunderstood' the Trump Organization indictment - Alternet.org ›
- Newsmax host claims Fox News has gone 'woke' for not sounding off on MLB All-Star game relocation - Alternet.org ›
- Eric Trump melts down on Fox News because he's getting 'subpoena after subpoena after subpoena' - Alternet.org ›