Beto O'Rourke slams Ted Cruz after senator posts video of visit to the border
Former U.S. Rep. Beto O'Rourke (D-Texas) quickly fired back with a litany of critical remarks in response to Sen. Ted Cruz's (R-Texas) footage and remarks about his visit to the Southern border.
On Friday, March 26, the two exchanged words via Twitter when Cruz posted a series of clips with details about his trip with 18 other lawmakers as they explored "the shore of the Rio Grande" to "see the crisis that is playing out." At one point, the Texas lawmaker even claimed so-called "smugglers" were "'yelling' at and taunting him," according to The Hill.
Live footage from the banks of the Rio Grande. #BidenBorderCrisis https://t.co/aO4EyANrRQ— Ted Cruz (@Ted Cruz) 1616739302
In another clip of Cruz's escapades, he claimed they "encountered human traffickers" and "cartel members" who shined flashlights at them. "That's Mexico, and you can see there are three smugglers right there, standing on the Mexico side, looking at us," Cruz said in the video. "They've been shining their flashlights at us, they're yelling at us."
We encountered human traffickers & cartel members tonight, yelling at us across the Rio Grande and preparing to cro… https://t.co/qXKNpN5YT2— Ted Cruz (@Ted Cruz) 1616739704
O'Rourke fired back at Cruz's videos refuting his claims tweeting, "You're in a Border Patrol boat armed with machine guns. The only threat you face is unarmed children and families who are seeking asylum (as well as the occasional heckler)."
The state you “represent” in the Senate is the least insured in the nation. That means your constituents are dyin… https://t.co/9INbfixoJ6— Beto O'Rourke (@Beto O'Rourke) 1616776211
O'Rourke added, "If you're looking for a crisis to cosplay Senator for, I'm happy to point you in the right direction."
In a later tweet, the former lawmaker went on to offer Cruz immigration statistics from 2019 up to this point tweeting. "The truth is, the number of individual asylum seekers and immigrants seeking to come to this country is the SAME or LOWER than it was in 2019 when Trump was President (and you were, apparently, Senator)," O'Rourke tweeted.
He added, "This isn't any more of a crisis today than it was then."
THANK GOD YOU SURVIVED THE HECKLING! https://t.co/IT7vQdldWy— Beto O'Rourke (@Beto O'Rourke) 1616773773
The truth is, the number of individual asylum seekers and immigrants seeking to come to this country is the SAME or… https://t.co/2T209jeSFx— Beto O'Rourke (@Beto O'Rourke) 1616776212
Twitter users also fired back with tweets questioning Cruz's account. Many noted that they believed the tweets seemed a bit fabricated while others did not believe any of his accounts. One Twitter user wrote, "10/10 those weren't traffickers OR cartel members. They were probably kids having a party or the Mexican version of Border Control. No smuggler of any kind is gonna be that loud in the middle of the night while they're trying to do shady sh*t."
@tedcruz 10/10 those weren’t traffickers OR cartel members. They were probably kids having a party or the Mexican v… https://t.co/p3BocWlW8i— Liz Mills (@Liz Mills) 1616743433
Another person tweeted, "And how exactly do you know that they were cartel members and human traffickers? This reminds me of Geraldo Rivera's fake combat video from Iraq."
@tedcruz And how exactly do you know that they were cartel members and human traffickers? This reminds me of Gerald… https://t.co/LdJln95fjQ— Ken Halkin (@Ken Halkin) 1616770048
@tedcruz 😂😂😂😂😂😂 This is the total final definitive proof that...nothing. This video does not mean anything. Why don… https://t.co/B37wh0YMmi— Ubi FaberCurghio (aka Marble Cat) (@Ubi FaberCurghio (aka Marble Cat)) 1616760437
As of Thursday, March 25, the United States had more than 15,000 unaccompanied immigrant minors in its custody.
- Where is Ted Cruz in the middle of Texas' growing humanitarian ... ›
- Ted Cruz spews disgust at 'waiters and waitresses' who he says don ... ›
- Ted Cruz refuses to put on a mask when asked — because he's on ... ›
- Ted Cruz melts down over voting rights bill because people on 'welfare' might vote - Alternet.org ›
- Watch: A fake Trump supporter tricks Ted Cruz into bragging about his role in pushing the big lie - Alternet.org ›
- Texas GOP finalizes 'ruthless' voter suppression bill — sparks calls for congressional action - Alternet.org ›
- Ted Cruz brings lawsuit demanding Trump be able to pay himself back millions he gave to his campaign - Alternet.org ›
- Princeton historian busts Ted Cruz for echoing southern segregationist rhetoric - Alternet.org ›
- Ted Cruz mocked for claiming 'nobody is banning' critical race theory - Alternet.org ›
- Ted Cruz's attack on Jen Psaki for 'gaslighting' blows up in his face in spectacular fashion - Alternet.org ›
- Cruz destroys his own argument against vaccine and mask mandates by comparing unvaccinated to smokers - Alternet.org ›
- Pathetic': Ted Cruz’s 2020 campaign spent 'more than $150,000' at a major book chain — possibly on his own book - Alternet.org ›
- Top Democrat blasts Ted Cruz with Afghanistan blame - Alternet.org ›
- 'Cancun' Cruz brutally mocked for hypocritical 'don’t leave Americans behind' post: 'He feels no shame' - Alternet.org ›