Where is Ted Cruz in the middle of Texas' growing humanitarian crisis? Airport photos show him heading to Cancun
Texas state Republican lawmakers have been under intense scrutiny all week for their handling of the bitter and deadly winter storm still battering the Lone Star state. Now, Texas Sen. Ted Cruz is facing backlash after photos purport to show him on a flight from Houston in the middle of a growing humanitarian crisis.
On Wednesday, Feb. 18, photos surfaced on Twitter of a couple bearing a striking resemblance to Cruz and his wife, Heidi. The two were at George Bush Intercontinental Airport preparing to board a flight to Cancun, Mexico.
According to KSAT, Keith Edwards, who worked for Sen. Jon Ossoff's campaign in Georgia, had "multiple people" confirming the man in the photos was Cruz.
Ok, at first I didn't think this was ted cruz, but this person has the same mask as the senator. Did Ted Cruz fly… https://t.co/dZM4Fszu3d— Keith Edwards (@Keith Edwards) 1613619084.0
Residents all over Texas are still suffering the unprecedented storm that swept the state this week. Millions of Texans also remain without power and food as the Electric Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT), the state's privatized and deregulated power grid, struggles to get power back on.
In a nutshell, the state of Texas is facing a historic moment of chaos caused by the latest natural disaster to hit the state. So Twitter users are all asking the same question: "Did Ted Cruz really fly to Cancun during Texas' state of emergency?" Internet sleuths on Twitter even compared the mask worn by the man in the picture to Cruz's mask worn in the Senate chambers.
As a result of the photos, Cruz is facing a litany of critical tweets.
@keithedwards Totally him. Leaving his state to freeze. https://t.co/OlNn2jmL0i— JBeck (@JBeck) 1613621491.0
Some even pointed to the stark difference in Cruz's approach to the state's natural disaster in comparison to former rival Beto O'Rourke's proactive response to the crisis.
O'Rourke himself weighed in Cruz's travel, slamming the GOP senator on MSNBC Thursday morning.
Update 2/18 10:02 AM:
- Ted Cruz helped Texas fracking billionaires reap millions in COVID ... ›
- Ted Cruz Has Been Ridiculed for Years by His Former College ... ›
- Ted Cruz spews disgust at 'waiters and waitresses' who he says don ... ›
- Listen: Ted Cruz urged Texans to stay 'just stay home' this weekend. Then he flew to Mexico - Alternet.org ›
- Forget Ted Cruz — here's what Texas really needs - Alternet.org ›
- The trials of Ted Cruz: Why he thought he'd get away with it - Alternet.org ›
- 'We are resilient people': Texans share how they weathered the winter storm - Alternet.org ›
- 'Insult to our intelligence': CNN panel buries Ted Cruz for blaming his kids in 'weak damage control' - Alternet.org ›
- Fellow senators mock Ted Cruz’s infamous Cancun trip with a biting prank - Alternet.org ›
- Here's the dark lesson Ted Cruz, Ron Johnson and the entire GOP learned from their former master - Alternet.org ›
- 'Liar' Ted Cruz absurdly blames Biden for non-existent 'ban' on Dr. Suess books — gets hilariously mocked - Alternet.org ›
- Ted Cruz accused of theft during 'own the libs' stunt - Alternet.org ›
- 'I don't apologize for thoughts or prayers': Theatrical Ted Cruz dismisses Senate gun violence hearing as 'theater' - Alternet.org ›
- Ted Cruz refuses to put on a mask when asked — because he's on TV - Alternet.org ›
- Beto O'Rourke slams Ted Cruz after senator posts video of visit to the border - Alternet.org ›
- Republicans are falling out of love with all of their favorite corporations - Alternet.org ›
- Ted Cruz has no shame about being associated with an 'extremist' right-wing group: report - Alternet.org ›
- Ted Cruz blasted for saying the quiet part out loud: He 'explicitly linked campaign contributions to policy' - Alternet.org ›
- Ivy Leaguer Ted Cruz attended Kentucky Derby — then told Fox News the GOP is a 'blue collar party' - Alternet.org ›