CPAC ripped for hypocritical move canceling 'reprehensible' guest from speaking at anti-cancel culture event
A Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC) is facing backlash for its glaringly hypocritical action in the days leading up to its anti-cancel culture event.
According to the HuffPost, the controversy began when the CPAC tweeted to condemn an invited guest speaker's "reprehensible" views as it announced that the person would no longer be allowed to speak at the conference ironically dubbed "America Uncancelled."
"We have just learned that someone we invited to CPAC has expressed reprehensible views that have no home with our conference or our organization," the CPAC tweeted. "The individual will not be participating at our conference."
We have just learned that someone we invited to CPAC has expressed reprehensible views that have no home with our c… https://t.co/qosIPlusF7— CPAC (@CPAC) 1614028685
While the conference's tweet did not include the name of the person it was referring to, the publication notes that the CPAC did decide to cancel a speaker by the name of Young Pharaoh after the progressive watchdog group Media Matters shed light on his habit of making anti-Semitic remarks. Pharoah reportedly "called Judaism a 'complete lie,' used the phrase 'thieving fake Jews' and wrote on Twitter that 'all the censorship & pedophilia on social media is being done by Israeli Jews.'"
For many Twitter users, the move was a prime example of raging hypocrisy and they wasted no time criticizing the conference.
@CPAC this you? https://t.co/c4R0GD3PmK— Jamison Foser (@Jamison Foser) 1614029925
@CPAC Sweetie, you're gonna have to be more specific. This describes all your attendees.— firstname.lastname@example.org (@email@example.com) 1614029756
@CPAC Sounds like someone is being canceled.— jay gordon 🦍 (@jay gordon 🦍) 1614029802
Wait till they find out their keynote speaker incited a violent insurrection! https://t.co/bmEFSRsIVF— Brett Meiselas (@Brett Meiselas) 1614029978
Other Twitter users, like Rep. Ted Lieu (D-Calif.), also used the controversial moment as an opportunity to offer the committee a real example of reprehensible views. Lieu tweeted, "Dear @CPAC: Are you referring to the reprehensible view that the election was stolen? Or find 11,780 votes? Or stand by to a white nationalist group? So many to choose from."
Dear @CPAC: Are you referring to the reprehensible view that the election was stolen? Or find 11,780 votes? Or stan… https://t.co/MxeI5ticRT— Ted Lieu (@Ted Lieu) 1614031358
Many also reminded the CPAC that its keynote speaker, former President Donald Trump, has been at the center of the most reprehensible actions committed so far this year. However, the conference has yet to respond to the backlash.
- GOP showed its true face as CPAC booked a far-right speaker with a ... ›
- CPAC organizers accuse Politico of trying to 'cancel' conservative ... ›
- Trump's CPAC 2021 speech will show his total domination of the ... ›
- Donald Trump is still an attention addict — his appearance at CPAC will offer the latest proof - Alternet.org ›
- CPAC guests lose it when they're told they have to wear masks - Alternet.org ›
- MAGA's CPAC crowd rewards Josh Hawley with a standing ovation for voting to overturn election - Alternet.org ›
- Republicans' fascism two-step was on display at CPAC 2021 - Alternet.org ›
- An education camp for far-right radicals - Alternet.org ›
- Ted Lieu sounds off on Trump's 'Kung Flu' rhetoric in wake of the shooting at an Asian-American spa in Atlanta - Alternet.org ›