FBI tracks down suspect allegedly involved in Capitol Police officer Brian Sicknick's death
The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) is now zeroing in on one suspect who may have been involved in the disturbing death of U.S. Capitol police officer Brian Sicknick who was killed amid the deadly riots that unfolded on Capitol Hill on Jan. 6.
According to The New York Times, an FBI official has confirmed that the bureau has managed to identify a suspect seen in footage of the Capitol riots who allegedly attacked several Capitol police officers with "bear spray."
Sicknick was reportedly one of the officers he attacked. Amid the investigation into Sicknick's death, investigators began to speculate that the late officer's death "was related to an irritant, like mace or bear spray, that he had inhaled during the riot." Now, footage from the riots appears to coincide with that theory.
In a significant breakthrough in the case, investigators have now pinpointed a person seen on video of the riot who attacked several officers with bear spray, including Officer Sicknick, according to the officials. And video evidence shows that the assailant discussed attacking officers with the bear spray beforehand, one of the officials said.
On Friday, Feb. 26, the U.S. Capitol police released a statement with an update about the case. "We are awaiting toxicology results and continue to work with other government agencies regarding the death investigation," the statement read.
It added, "Officer Sicknick's family has asked for privacy during this difficult time and that the spreading of misinformation stop regarding the cause of his death," the statement said. "The Department and the Sicknick family appreciate the outpouring of support for our fallen officer."
The latest announcement follows the FBI's decision to open a homicide investigation into Sicknick's death. Since the deadly riots on the U.S. Capitol, the FBI has arrested more than 200 individuals who stormed the federal building to hinder the Electoral College certification.
- Trump won't lower flags for slain officer — even on 'Law ... ›
- Biden makes unannounced US Capitol visit to pay respects to ... ›
- Fox News's decision to ignore a fallen Capitol officer's ceremony ... ›
- Capitol Police on high alert as QAnon believers prepare for Trump's 'true Inauguration Day' - Alternet.org ›
- Cops arrest MAGA rioters who assaulted late Capitol officer Brian Sicknick - Alternet.org ›
- The truth about Officer Sicknick's death in the Capitol riot - Alternet.org ›
- WATCH: Newly released disturbing video shows assault on deceased Capitol Police Officer Brian Sicknick - Alternet.org ›
- 'A spit in the face': Partner of fallen Capitol Police officer slams GOP lawmakers who blocked Jan. 6 commission - Alternet.org ›
- 'Selling their souls for power': Fallen cop's partner denounces McConnell and the GOP for protecting Trump - Alternet.org ›
- 'Unforgivable and un-American': US Capitol Officer Brian Sicknick's longtime partner calls out GOP - Alternet.org ›
- 'A hitman sent them': Capitol Police Officer says of Jan. 6 attackers - Alternet.org ›