Florida rabbi arrested in connection with deadly US Capitol riot
A rabbi in Florida is now the latest person of interest in connection with the deadly U.S. Capitol riots that erupted on Jan. 6 amid the Electoral College certification.
According to WFLA-TV, the U.S. Department of Justice has arrested Michael Stepakoff, of Tampa Bay, Fla., on a string of charges for his role in the U.S. Capitol siege. A criminal complaint, filed in the U.S. District Court of Washington D.C., details the incriminating evidence that led to Stepakoff's arrest.
Federal authorities have revealed that there is "surveillance video which shows him standing inside the Capitol building during the raid and a Facebook post the FBI says was made by his wife, which states he was inside the building and asks the public for prayers for his safety," according to FOX-13.
“A rabbi from the Tampa Bay area became the latest person with ties to Florida to be arrested for their alleged rol… https://t.co/0iYmhMbTyZ— Denise ᴹᴬᴹᴬᴸᴬ ᴵˢ ᴬ ᴮᴬᴸᴸˢ ᶜᴼᴸᴸᴱᶜᵀᴼᴿ (@Denise ᴹᴬᴹᴬᴸᴬ ᴵˢ ᴬ ᴮᴬᴸᴸˢ ᶜᴼᴸᴸᴱᶜᵀᴼᴿ)1612018985.0
On Friday, Jan. 29, Stepakoff, who is the rabbi at the Palm Harbor-based messianic synagogue Temple New Jerusalem, appeared in court on a number of charges including "knowingly entering or remaining in any restricted building or grounds without lawful authority and knowingly engages in disorderly or disruptive conduct in any restricted building or grounds."
Despite the charges brought against him and the surveillance footage of him inside of the Capitol, his attorney Rick Terrana argues that the evidence does not make his client guilty of a crime.
"I'm not sure to what extent his presence there makes him guilty of any crime," said Stepakoff's attorney, Rick Terrana. "He just followed the crowd over to the Capitol just intending to be nothing more than a spectator and ended up going into the Capitol after it was opened up, an hour or so after this incident that we all saw on TV."
As of Saturday, Jan. 30, more than 170 people have been arrested for participating in the insurrection on the U.S. Capitol. The Federal Bureau of Investigation's (FBI) investigation will be ongoing.
- Judaism and Veganism: Time for a Reunion - Alternet.org ›
- Trump's GOP Coup: How the Orange-Haired Monster Has Rewritten ... ›
- How Opponents of U.K. Labour Leader Corbyn Advanced a Political ... ›
- Top Trump campaign fundraiser played key role in planning the rally that preceded the siege: text messages - Alternet.org ›
- 'This is war': Inside the secret chat where far-right extremists devised their post-Capitol plans - Alternet.org ›
- Biden makes unannounced US Capitol visit to pay respects to murdered officer Brian Sicknick - Alternet.org ›
- 'Remand her to custody': Internet outraged after judge approves Capitol rioter's vacation to Mexico - Alternet.org ›
- Former FBI assistant director Frank Figliuzzi: Capitol riot was 'a form of terrorism' - Alternet.org ›
- Forensic research group confirms Capitol attack was not spontaneous - Alternet.org ›
- Official reveals a right-wing militia plot to 'blow up the Capitol' and 'kill as many members as possible' - Alternet.org ›
- Report finds the owner of a truck with a Three Percenter logo at the Capitol riot is married to a lawmaker - Alternet.org ›