Trump lawyers blindsided by bombshell recording and 'they don’t know how to defend this': Maggie Haberman
CNN on Friday morning obtained a bombshell transcript of a recording in which former President Donald Trump boasts of retaining "secret" military information that he never declassified while he was president.
Appearing on CNN shortly after this news broke, New York Times reporter Maggie Haberman revealed that the former president's team was essentially blindsided by this recording's existence.
"I don't think they quite know how to defend this... from what we have heard," she said. "They were... startled by the existence of this tape. This tape was something that they learned existed when this aide to Trump testified. The prosecutors were already in possession of this tape. They didn't get it from the aide, although it appears the aide had a copy when it was subpoenaed later, but this is has been described to us by multiple sources... as a really problematic piece of evidence for Trump."
Haberman predicted that the recording's existence would not change the Trump legal team's overall defense strategy, however.
"I think they are going to stick that their line: 'He says things, he didn't mean it a certain way,'" she said. "I am sure they can come up with all kinds of explanations for why he used the language he used. But it's on tape."
Trump is due in court in Miami next week to face seven felony counts related to his handling of top-secret government documents.
Trump lawyers blindsided by bombshell recording and 'they don't know how to defend this'www.youtube.com
- Trump attorney Jim Trusty: DOJ 'filtered' recording to 'justify a persecution' of his client ›
- Audio tape of Trump is devastating for his case and supports Michael Cohen: former prosecutor ›
- A 2021 recording could be among DOJ’s 'most important' evidence against Trump: ex-federal prosecutor ›
- Trump unable to find more lawyers before Mar-a-Lago documents arraignment: report - Alternet.org ›
- Maddow reads humiliating excerpts of Trump's court transcript - Alternet.org ›
- GOP senator insults Trump’s 'signature professional achievement' in rant about dumping him - Alternet.org ›