Former President Donald Trump hosted notorious Holocaust denier Nick Fuentes for dinner this week -- but now he's issued a statement saying he had no idea who Fuentes was before sharing a meal with him.
"Kanye West very much wanted to visit Mar-a-Lago," Trump said. "Our dinner meeting was intended to be Kanye and me only, but he arrived with a guest whom I had never met and knew nothing about."
Trump notably did not condemn Fuentes' views about the Holocaust or his belief that America should reinstate racial segregation.
Additionally, Trump did say that he invited West to dinner with him despite the fact that West has drawn outrage in recent weeks by spouting openly anti-Semitic rhetoric, starting with a tweet last month in which he threatened to go "death-con 3 on Jewish people."
Trump has a long history of refusing to condemn the behavior of overt racists while also denying that he knows their true views, such as when he said in 2016 he did not know former Klan leader David Duke's views well enough to justify disavowing his support.
- 'Looks can be deceiving': DOJ says Nancy Pelosi's laptop thief is a 'threat to democracy' as trial begins ›
- Nick Fuentes praises 'thinly veiled racism' of GOP attacks on Ketanji Brown Jackson ›
- 'Just a disaster': Right-wing journalist reacts with horror to Trump’s reported meeting with Nick Fuentes ›
- 'Nightmare': Longtime Trump adviser warns Fuentes meeting is 'another reason' people want 'DeSantis to run' - Alternet.org ›
- 'Not accidental': GOP governor admonishes Donald Trump for dining with Holocaust denier Nick Fuentes - Alternet.org ›
- Watch: Former Trump staffer says Donald 'does not need to apologize' for dining with Holocaust denier - Alternet.org ›