House Republicans hurl closer to shutdown as bill to keep government open gets scrapped: report
Kevin McCarthy (R-CA) listens in the House Chamber during the second day of elections for Speaker of the House at the U.S. Capitol Building on January 04, 2023 in Washington, DC. (Photo by Win McNamee/Getty Images).
Legislation that would temporarily keep the federal government open for 30 days will not get a vote, at least for now, after a procedural vote was scrapped late Tuesday morning. The federal government will shut down if legislation to fund the government is not passed and signed into law before midnight on September 30. Some House Republicans put together a bare-bones "CR," a continuing resolution, but that is being rejected.
"An expected procedural vote to advance the stopgap spending bill put together by House Freedom Caucus and Main Street Caucus negotiators was pulled from the schedule on Tuesday, multiple sources told Fox News Digital, as a Sept. 30 deadline to maintain government funding nears by the day," Fox News reports. "The fight over how and if to avoid a government shutdown has fractured the House GOP majority, with dueling proposals popping up amid a wave of conservative backlash."
U.S. Rep. Byron Donalds of Florida, "one of the lead negotiators for House Republicans’ current stopgap spending proposal, lashed out at moderate members who are warming up to the idea of working with Democrats to avoid a government shutdown."
The Washington Monthly's politics editor Bill Scher Tuesday morning suggested much of the GOP's machinations are so Speaker McCarthy can keep his Speakership:
"The only path forward is a bipartisan CR &/or year-long deal that tracks (more or less) the already agreed upon statutory spending caps, and Gaetz & Co. cries harder. Everyone knows this. But we have to go through more kabuki (& possible shutdown) so McCarthy can avoid/win a MTV [motion to vacate]."
- Progressives condemn House GOP 'hostage-taking' as shutdown nears ›
- Republicans in disarray as government shutdown fight looms: report ›
- Ex-Obama adviser: Government shutdown 'very possible' unless Republicans stick to agreement ›
- GOP Congressman admits 'most of what we do is bad' as Republicans push for federal government shutdown ›
- Democrats plan to inflict maximum 'GOP political pain' as shutdown deadline approaches: report ›
- Democrats unleash on GOP over government shutdown chaos - Alternet.org ›
- 'The House is paralyzed' after 'embarrassing defeat' for Kevin McCarthy - Alternet.org ›
- House Republicans release short-term bill to avert government ... ›
- Tensions flare inside House GOP as moderates explore new plan to ... ›
- House G.O.P. Considers Stopgap Spending Bill to Avert a Shutdown ... ›
- GOP Fight Over Spending Bills Threatens Government Shutdown ... ›
- McCarthy's Plan to Avoid a Shutdown Hits Stiff G.O.P. Opposition ... ›