Georgia Republicans are fighting over pro-Trump hardliners’ push to oust Fulton County DA: report
Georgia, once deep red, has evolved into a complex swing state. The 2022 midterms found Republican Gov. Brian Kemp and Georgia Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger, both conservative Republicans, getting reelected. But liberal Sen. Raphael Warnock (D-Georgia) was reelected as well.
Among Georgia Republicans, there has been infighting over Fulton County District Attorney Fani Willis' criminal prosecution of former President Donald Trump. The Atlanta Journal-Constitution (AJC) reports that "pro-Trump hardliners" in the GOP, including State Sen. Colton Moore, are trying to "convene a special legislative session to oust Willis from office."
But other Georgia Republicans are pushing back against Moore, including Kemp, House Speaker Jon G. Burns and Senate Majority Leader Steve Gooch.
Burns, AJC reports, "said the idea of defunding the DA's office would have the dangerous consequence of also stopping Willis' prosecutions of serious violent crimes in Fulton County like murder, rape and robbery."
In a letter to other members of the Georgia House, Burns wrote, "Targeting one specific DA in this manner certainly flaunts the idea of separation of powers, if not outright violates it."
However, AJC journalists Patricia Murphy, Greg Bluestein, Tia Mitchell and Adam Van Brimmer also report that "Republican leaders" in Georgia "have focused on other ways to punish Willis that have Democrats on guard."
"They plan to encourage complaints against Willis under a new commission empowered to sanction wayward prosecutors," the journalists explain. "And they expect to hold hearings to probe her use of public funds."
Read the Atlanta Journal-Constitution's full report at this link (subscription required).
- 'Political suicide': Conservative salutes Georgia Republicans who paid 'a steep price' for rejecting Trump’s Big Lie ›
- 'They're laughing now': 'Thrilled' Giuliani-jailed mobsters celebrate former prosecutor's RICO indictment ›
- Georgia Republicans 'seek to reprimand' Fani Willis for investigating and indicting Trump: report ›
- Georgia GOP state senator rallies allies in call to punish Fulton DA over 2020 election indictments - Alternet.org ›
- Democrats view Georgia congressional map battle as crucial to election hopes - Alternet.org ›
- This 'tough-on-crime' Republican has showed a 'frightening laxity regarding sex offenders' - Alternet.org ›
- Top Georgia Republican in danger of losing her seat — here's why - Alternet.org ›