Matt Gaetz: Kevin McCarthy working with Democrats 'a black letter violation' of 'ascent to speakership'
United States Congressman Matt Gaetz (R-Florida) told Newsmax on Tuesday that Representative Kevin McCarthy's (R-California) speakership will be in danger if McCarthy allies with Democrats to pass the proposal that he negotiated with President Joe Biden to increase the Treasury Department's debt ceiling and stave off an unprecedented default.
The right-wing House Freedom Caucus — of which Gaetz is a member — announced its opposition to the legislation earlier in the day.
"What will the Freedom Caucus do if the people who are objecting to this bill get overridden — if the Republicans get overridden by a Republican speaker teaming up with Democrats to pass this bill?" host Chris Salcedo asked Gaetz.
"Again, I think the operative question there is whether or not the speaker can get to a majority of the majority," Gaetz replied.
If a majority of Republicans are against a piece of legislation and you use Democrats to pass it, that would immediately be a black letter violation of the deal we had with McCarthy to allow his ascent to the speakership and it would likely trigger an immediate motion to vacate," Gaetz continued. "I think Speaker McCarthy knows that. That's why he's working hard to make sure that he gets, you know, a hundred twenty, a hundred fifty, a hundred sixty votes. And that's why those of us who are not supportive of the bill are trying to point out that many of the changes are cosmetic in nature. And Joe Biden's administration is going to be able to waive certain requirements and certain conditions that sound like great talking points, but that don't save the country from the ruin that the Biden administration is bringing us to."
Watch below or at this link.
\u201cGaetz: If a majority of Republicans are against a piece of legislation, and you use Democrats to pass it, that would immediately be a black letter violation of the deal we had with McCarthy, and it would likely trigger an immediate motion to vacate.\u201d— Acyn (@Acyn) 1685478211
- Dem lawmakers roll out plan to circumvent McCarthy on the debt ceiling ›
- McCarthy: GOP put work requirements in debt ceiling bill for child 'sitting on the couch collecting welfare' ›
- 'Cruel and shortsighted': Progressives blast Biden-McCarthy debt ceiling deal ›
- House Freedom Caucus member: 'We failed' to block debt ceiling deal - Alternet.org ›
- 'A lot of anger': Report details 'bad blood' between Kevin McCarthy and Majority Leader Scalise - Alternet.org ›
- 'Fiery' closed-door meeting highlights bitter infighting among House Republicans - Alternet.org ›
- 21 far-right Republicans demand Kevin McCarthy shutdown the government in budget negotiations - Alternet.org ›
- McCarthy defends invitation for RFK Jr. to testify before Congress despite antisemitic remarks - Alternet.org ›
- Gaetz pushes public school prayer instead of 'Pansexual Poetry Hour in Portland' - Alternet.org ›
- Gaetz filing resolution to 'censure and condemn' judge overseeing Trump election fraud trial - Alternet.org ›
- 'Matt is upset about an ethics complaint': Rep. Gaetz smacked down by Speaker McCarthy - Alternet.org ›
- 'I don’t have it': Gaetz unable to pony up 'agreement' with Speaker McCarthy that 'no one is disputing' - Alternet.org ›
- ‘I’m not quitting’: Kevin McCarthy promises to stay in Congress - Alternet.org ›
- Matt Gaetz wants Garland to tell the president not to allow Hunter Biden at state dinners - Alternet.org ›
- 'Dysfunction and stupidity': Matt Gaetz and Maria Bartiromo argue in battle over government funding - Alternet.org ›