GOP lawmaker vows to investigate Twitter employees who may have helped to censor news on Hunter Biden's laptop
Rep. James Comer (R-Ky.) is vowing to bring Twitter employees before Congress as part of an investigative effort to determine how they may have censored reports on Hunter Biden's laptop during the 2020 election cycle.
On Friday, December 3, the Kentucky lawmaker appeared on Fox News where he spoke with guest host Jason Chaffetz who asked him about the report written by Substack journalist Matt Taibbi. According to Taibbi's report, there was an "organized effort at Twitter" to suppress the circulation of the story.
Mediaite reports that "Taibbi, whose source was Elon Musk, reported Democrats and Republicans both had back channels that killed unfavorable tweets."
According to the news outlet, the journalist also claimed "internal Twitter files showed Democrats had more channels that were used to suppress unfavorable tweets and initial reports on Hunter Biden’s laptop."
Chaffetz, also a former chairman of the House Oversight Committee said, “They can’t figure out how to justify this type of suppression. What can Congress, what can the Oversight Committee do, and where are they going to go next with this?”
The Republican lawmaker responded by sharing his intent as chairman of the committee. "When I take your old position as chairman of the House Oversight Committee, I can promise you this: every employee at Twitter who was involved in suppressing the Hunter Biden laptop story will have an opportunity to come before Congress and explain their actions to the American people," Comer said. "This was a huge story."
He added, "When we announced the investigation of the Biden family and referenced material from the laptop, many in the mainstream media said this is just a conspiracy theory. The mainstream media is still trying to use the old talking points the laptop is somehow Russian disinformation."
According to Comer, Musk's decision to share Twitter's files with Taibbi suggests there was some form of collusive effort to diminish the circulation of reports on the social platform. The Republican lawmaker also commended the New York Post for its original report which was published in October 2020.
He concluded by saying, “We are going to have every person at Twitter in front of the House Oversight Committee."
Watch the video below or at this link.
\u201c\ud83d\udea8 In January, I can promise you this. \n\nEvery @Twitter employee involved in suppressing the Hunter Biden laptop story will have an opportunity to come before @GOPoversight and explain their actions to the American people. \n\n@elonmusk has provided facts for Americans. @FoxNews\u201d— Rep. James Comer (@Rep. James Comer) 1670034982
- 'You see what you want to see bro': Twitter belittles GOP state senate candidate for melting down over a gift card ›
- 'House of cards': Twitter employees warn of 'nightmare' scenario that will make platform unreliable on election night ›
- Twitter employees respond to new owner Elon Musk’s annihilation of top execs — on Twitter ›
- GOP Congressional candidate encourages violence over the information surrounding Hunter Biden laptops - Alternet.org ›
- Elon Musk’s overhyped 'Twitter Files' show Biden campaign asked company to comply with its own policies - Alternet.org ›
- The powerful GOP Oversight Committee chairman is pushing a baseless narrative that Biden is 'compromised' - Alternet.org ›
- House Republican undercuts furor over Biden docs scandal: 'Every president has accidentally taken documents' - Alternet.org ›
- House Oversight chair mocked for claiming no evidence of Trump influence peddling - Alternet.org ›
- 'Watching a snake eat its own tail': Analysis torches Comer’s double standard in Trump classified docs case - Alternet.org ›