'Everybody was surprised': Nancy Pelosi reacts to Mar-a-Lago search
WASHINGTON, D.C. — House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) spoke to reporters on Tuesday about the recent search warrant issued for evidence at Donald Trump's Mar-a-Lago club, after he refused to turn over classified documents.
The National Archives retrieved 15 boxes from Mar-a-Lago several months ago, and it was revealed on Monday that for the subsequent months, Trump has been negotiating with the FBI over the additional documents he refused to give back.
Monday evening, Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer (R-NY) refused to respond to questions from MSNBC's Rachel Maddow about the matter, and President Joe Biden also refused to answer questions that were shouted at him during a bill signing on Tuesday.
After ceremonies at the White House, Pelosi answered a few questions from reporters about the ways that Republicans have responded to the search warrant.
Raw Story asked Pelosi about the attacks that Republicans are making on Attorney General Merrick Garland, who has been infamously independent, methodical and slow when it comes to dealing with those in power who may have been involved in the attempt to overthrow the 2020 election.
"What would you expect them to say?" Pelosi asked rhetorically. "The FBI Director was appointed by Donald Trump and so, they are going after the FBI with a director that was appointed by Donald Trump. But on the other hand, facts are truth — facts and law, that's what it's about. I mean, we were all surprised — everybody was surprised by last night. And it's amazing how it consumed all the air and oxygen around him [as we're] trying to pass legislation."
With additional reporting from Matt Laslo.
- 'We're supporting her': GOP Senator tells colleagues to stand with ... ›
- Trump baselessly blames Nancy Pelosi for not stopping attack on ... ›
- Here's Nancy Pelosi's plan to corner Trump and trap Mitch ... ›
- 'Nonsensical defense': MSNBC’s Mehdi Hasan tears apart Republican 'lies' about Mar-a-Lago search - Alternet.org ›
- Former US attorney calls for 'full investigation' after report Secret Service failed to share Pelosi threat - Alternet.org ›
- New analysis exposes years of far-right GOPers' staging of disturbing attacks against Pelosi - Alternet.org ›