Maggie Haberman explains why she believes Donald Trump is worried about facing criminal charges
Is former President Donald Trump worried about the U.S. Department of Justice's investigative probe? Although he publicly makes it seem as though he isn't concerned, The New York Times' Maggie Haberman is now arguing otherwise.
On Tuesday, June 28, Haberman appeared on CNN's "New Day" where she discussed the surprise House Select Committee hearing involving Eric and Don Trump, Jr. During the interview, CNN co-anchors Brianna Keilar and John Berman also asked about her recent report on the former president reportedly being "in friend-making mode." When asked to offer more insight on that claim, Haberman weighed in with more context into her latest report, Mediaite reports.
"Friend-making mode" is the former president's attempt to repair burned bridges. According to Haberman, Trump's efforts are a result of his concerns about U.S. Attorney General Merrick Garland‘s investigative and criminal probes. Although Trump and his allies are arguing that's not the case, Haberman explained why she believes otherwise.
Here is an excerpt from the conversation:
MAGGIE HABERMAN: I don’t think it’s a coincidence. I don’t think it’s as much about wanting to run for president. I think that’s a part of it. I think it is about the investigations. And I think it is —
JOHN BERMAN: Really?
MAGGIE HABERMAN: I do, I think I think a lot of what is driving him right now is about concern about the various investigations. And I think he is trying to make more friends than enemies at the moment. Now, could it benefit him if he ran for president and won? Absolutely. But I think the investigations have a, House and otherwise, have a large mind-share.
JOHN BERMAN: Is it the bad PR, or does he think, do you know or have reporting whether he thinks that they’re getting close to something?
MAGGIE HABERMAN: Look, the line from Trump’s world is he’s not worried about the DOJ investigations. He’s just angry because these House investigations are quote-unquote, very unfair, in his words. Donald Trump is pretty good at seeing when there’s heat turning up. And, you know, again, I can’t read his mind, can’t see into his heart. But I, based on reporting, don’t believe that it is only about the politics of the situation.
The latest surprise hearings have raised more speculation about the possibility of Trump facing criminal charges in connection with the Capitol insurrection.
- 'Gutless': Trump makes a thinly veiled attack on DeSantis — and one ... ›
- Trump 'unleashed something he cannot control' and it's thrown ... ›
- Trump and Club For Growth's president have a bitter falling out over ... ›
- NYT's Maggie Haberman responds after Trump flips out about her new book - Alternet.org ›
- Trump wanted to display Superman shirt after being discharged from hospital for COVID: Haberman book - Alternet.org ›
- Maggie Haberman: What does she know and when will she tell us? - Alternet.org ›
- 'It's not on the level': Steve Schmidt buries Maggie Haberman for holding back info on Trump for her book - Alternet.org ›