'Just insane': George Conway calls for John Eastman to be 'disbarred and prosecuted' for role in insurrection
Reacting to recent news reports suggesting that Trump lawyer John Eastman may have had a back channel of communication to the Supreme Court as he worked to invalidate the 2020 election results, Washington Post contributor George Conway said on CNN that the attorney should be "disbarred" and "prosecuted."
Conway went on to say that he thinks Eastman "was just blowing smoke in some of these emails" since all avenues to get the Supreme Court to consider bogus voter fraud claims had been exhausted, but the content of the emails, where Eastman allegedly suggested that violence in the streets would convince SCOTUS to see things Trump's way was "appalling."
In regards to the Jan. 6 committee subpoenaing Ginni Thomas to testify, Conway said that "it was headed this way."
"The fact that she chose to involve herself in this appalling attempt to overturn an election was deeply problematic for her husband, deeply problematic for the Supreme Court ... it just raises too many questions that deserve answers."
During the latest Jan. 6 hearing, a retired federal judge testified Thursday that Trump's demand for Mike Pence to reject the results of the 2020 US election would have triggered a "revolution" had the vice president obeyed.
J Michael Luttig had advised Pence that his role in overseeing Congress's ratification of the 2020 election on January 6 last year was purely ceremonial -- rejecting Eastman's theory that Pence had the power to unilaterally overturn Joe Biden's victory.
Luttig, a renowned conservative legal scholar, told a hearing of the congressional committee investigating the 2021 US Capitol assault that had Pence gone along with the plot, it would have triggered a "what I believe would have been tantamount to a revolution within a paralyzing constitutional crisis in America."
The jurist outlined how close he believed democracy came to collapsing as he appeared at the committee's third June hearing, which focused on the pressure campaign mounted by Trump against Pence to help the defeated Republican leader cling to power.
"There was no basis in the constitution or the laws of the United States at all for the theory espoused by Mr Eastman. At all. None," Luttig said.
Watch the video below or at this lin.
06 16 2022 12 18 24youtu.be
- The Jan. 6 committee has obtained 'cache of emails' that John ... ›
- Ginni Thomas had email correspondence with 'coup memo' author ... ›
- John Eastman ties to Clarence Thomas scrutinized after Ginni ... ›
- Mike Pence: John Eastman 'didn’t even believe what he was telling' Donald Trump about election fraud - Alternet.org ›
- House January 6th Select Committee to issue criminal referral for coup memo author John Eastman - Alternet.org ›
- Legal experts urge 'expeditious action' by California Bar Association to punish Eastman for Trump coup - Alternet.org ›
- 'Moral turpitude': Trump coup memo author now facing 11 counts of alleged ethics violations — and disbarment - Alternet.org ›