Fascism expert explains why Ron DeSantis is one of the most dangerous men in the GOP
An expert on fascism and authoritarianism is offering a brutal assessment of Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R), labeling him one of the most dangerous men in the Republican Party.
According to Business Insider, Ruth Ben-Ghiat —a New York University historian who authored the book, "Strongmen: Mussolini to the Present"— explained why DeSantis stands to rise in popularity and how he differs from former President Donald Trump.
Speaking to Insider, Ben-Ghiat noted that while Trump may need to face prosecution for the purpose of accountability and saving the United States' democracy, DeSantis could take his place to push the radicalized Republican agenda as a "populist nominee."
"What we do find in history is prosecution, in the longer term, is one of the only things that deflates these guys' personality cults, because those cults are founded on the idea that they are invincible, they are infallible," Ben-Ghiat said. "Now, if that does happen to Trump — DeSantis has already absorbed all the lessons of Trump."
Ben-Ghiat has also penned a number of other pieces to lay out her arguments.
"He's clearly readying himself for a national run, whether it's in 2024 or later. And he's a very dangerous individual," Ben Ghiat said. "He's dangerous because he is equally repressive, but doesn't have the baggage of Trump. It's hard to have the baggage of Trump."
DeSantis' latest initiatives also support Ben-Ghiat's theory. Over the last several months, the Republican governor has backed some of the most controversial pieces of legislation, attacking the rights of members of the LGBTQ community. DeSantis has also waged war on Critical Race Theory (CRT).
Per Business Insider: "DeSantis has recently signed controversial bills like Florida's 'Don't Say Gay' bill — which limits teachers' curriculum around sexual orientation and gender identity in grades Kindergarten through third — and the
Stop WOKE Act, which restricts how race is discussed in workplaces, schools, and colleges. He also implemented an Office of Election Crimes and Security, rankling voting rights advocates."
Although DeSantis remains coy about a presidential run in 2024, many political experts do believe he is laying the groundwork for a national run.
- Fascism expert details the alarming similarities between Trump ... ›
- Is the Republican Party fascist? An expert explains the 7 themes that ... ›
- Fascism expert says Trump's cult of personality is growing - Alternet ... ›
- Florida Judge recommended by DeSantis lied on an application to be on the state Supreme Court — a misdemeanor - Alternet.org ›
- Florida newspaper blasts Ron DeSantis for 'cruel, barbaric' delay of COVID-19 vaccines for children - Alternet.org ›
- Ron DeSantis hasn’t asked for Donald Trump’s endorsement — and doesn’t plan to: report - Alternet.org ›
- Ron DeSantis hasn’t asked for Trump’s endorsement — and doesn’t plan to: report - Alternet.org ›
- Ron DeSantis’ handpicked 'radical far-right' secretary of state will oversee his race - Alternet.org ›
- 'A small cowardly person': GOP strategists slam Trump and explain how DeSantis could benefit from the Jan. 6 investigation - Alternet.org ›
- 'The road down authoritarianism': What Ken Burns’ Holocaust documentary can teach Americans in 2022 - Alternet.org ›
- DeSantis says he’s willing to 'take away lunch money from poor kids' for anti-transgender crusade - Alternet.org ›
- DeSantis called out for political double standard on enforcing laws: 'Better start suspending those people too' - Alternet.org ›
- Ron DeSantis is on a 'collision course' with Trump as former president is 'besieged' by legal problems - Alternet.org ›
- Flatbeds filled with fury and fascism - Alternet.org ›
- How Ron DeSantis' 'unprecedented' crackdown on Florida’s school districts is helping the far-right - Alternet.org ›
- 'Revitalized fascism': The midterms are one of the last guardrails left to preserve our fraying democracy - Alternet.org ›
- More Republicans are 'stepping up attacks' on Ron DeSantis as he surges in 2024 GOP presidential polls - Alternet.org ›
- How Ron DeSantis is making 2024’s GOP presidential field 'smaller than expected': report - Alternet.org ›
- Judge denies DeSantis’ request for 'mental examinations' for minors seeking gender-affirming care - Alternet.org ›
- 'They don't speak for your voice or mine': DeSantis to propose bill that would block 'woke' investments - Alternet.org ›
- 'Dangerous': Philosopher warns media’s framing of 'culture wars' is a 'misrepresentation of fascism' - Alternet.org ›
- DeSantis supporter smeared rival as a 'career criminal' — but is silent about ally’s cocaine charge - Alternet.org ›
- How an overtly 'authoritarian' Florida GOP bill is designed to silence anti-DeSantis bloggers: journalist - Alternet.org ›
- Documentary filmmaker Ken Burns torches Ron DeSantis' new 'Soviet system' education bill - Alternet.org ›
- 'Like a starving animal': How Ron DeSantis’ poor 'social skills' could give Trump the advantage - Alternet.org ›