Watch: Joe Scarborough torches Tom Cotton’s 'shameful' attack leveled at SCOTUS nominee Ketanji Brown Jackson
On Wednesday, April 6, Scarborough discussed Cotton's attempted smear campaign questioning Jackson's integrity over clients she legally represented in the course of her career as a defense attorney. Cotton criticized Jackson for defending suspected terrorists and arguing the case of her clients' innocence even though it was her job to do so.
This is what\u2019s happening in the GOP! Educated republican lawyers as Joe Scarborough mentions in this video clip. to you\u2019re American Faces and your hearing ears about Katanji Brown Jackson #KBJ @SenTomCotton did you really study in school or did you pay someone? @rolandsmartin?pic.twitter.com/3ApFHflEjV— AmericanB4Parti (@AmericanB4Parti) 1649250517
Cotton also attempted to invoke former U.S. Supreme Court Justice Robert Jackson's remarks saying, “the last Judge Jackson left the Supreme Court to go Nuremberg and prosecute the case against the Nazis. This Judge Jackson might’ve gone there to defend them.”
Scarborough condemned Cotton's arguments saying it “made the ghost of Joe McCarthy blush” as he highlighted Republican lawmakers' attempts to criticize Jackson's work as a federal public defender when she represented detainees at Guantanamo Bay. The news anchor argued that as a public defender, Jackson had no control over the cases she was assigned.
Scarborough went on to accuse Cotton, a Harvard-educated lawyer, of "acting stupid" in regard to how the legal system works as his arguments appear to be an attempt to misrepresent the role of public defenders:
"He is twisting this so out of context. It is a wretched display for yet another Ivy League guy. Another Ivy leaguer who went to Harvard Law School, lying to you, acting stupid about what happens when you’re a public defender, what happens when you’re assigned a case," Scarborough said. "You know why you’re assigned those cases? Because the Constitution of the United States of America, which Republicans like Tom Cotton claim to defend. They carry it around in their pocket, hold up their little pocket-sized Constitutions, but don’t really give a damn about what’s inside of it! Because if Tom Cotton did, he’d understand that she was doing what the Constitution of the United States guarantees every American, that lawyers will do, and that lawyers have done since the beginning of this republic. He knows better. That’s what makes it so absolutely, positively shameful.
- Senate confirms Ketanji Brown Jackson to the Supreme Court - Alternet.org ›
- A ‘pile of big, polarizing cases’ awaits Ketanji Brown Jackson on the US Supreme Court: reporter - Alternet.org ›
- 'Abuse': Biden celebrates KBJ confirmation at White House ceremony but blasts GOP’s 'vile, baseless accusations' - Alternet.org ›
- Joe Scarborough predicts GOP voters will pick Ron DeSantis over 'fat Elvis' Donald Trump in 2024 - Alternet.org ›
- 'Acting like jackasses':Joe Scarborough rips GOP as 'dumbest political party that’s ever existed' - Alternet.org ›
- SCOTUS justices face calls for code of conduct: legal affairs reporter - Alternet.org ›
- Ketanji Brown Jackson scolds conservative justices over Black teen's appeal of 162-year sentence - Alternet.org ›