Politics editor sheds light on the real reason for Ted Cruz’s antics during SCOTUS confirmation hearing
Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas), like many other Republican lawmakers, has made this week’s U.S. Supreme Court confirmation hearings for justice nominee Ketanji Brown Jackson into more of a political circus than a professional inquisition.
From subtly misogynistic insinuations the blatantly racist remarks, Republican lawmakers have been deeply criticized for their treatment of Jackson.
Now, The Daily Beast's Matthew Fuller is offering an unfiltered breakdown of all that has transpired this week. At one point during the 200th episode of The Daily Beast podcast, "The New Abnormal," Fuller joined the panel to speak with the show's co-host Andy Levy as they rehashed the Republican senator's bizarre behavior.
Fuller, who bluntly describes Republican lawmakers' actions as "the full-flavored version" of “straight racism," weighed in with his reaction to the grotesque displays during the confirmation hearings.
"I think I expected it to be maybe a little bit more coded, a little bit more dog whistle-y," Fuller said. "'Certainly, I knew that they were gonna bring up stupid things like critical race theory. I didn’t expect the line of attack to be just so overtly racist, with false suggestions that 'Jackson is soft on crime, she’s soft on child pornographers' even though her sentencing practices were well in line with the average sentences people were getting.'”
Fuller went on to express concern about the bigger problem as he noted the real reason for Republican lawmakers' antics during the confirmation hearings.
“But the broader issue,” Fuller explains, “is Republicans know Democrats have all the votes. At the end of the day, I'd be very surprised if Jackson is not confirmed, and confirmed with probably a couple Republican votes. They know that, and the hearing is just about scoring points, which is why you see Cruz giving his speech and then checking his Twitter mentions. This isn’t about actually moving people. This is about raising money. This is about adding to their own clout. And it’s been frankly a pretty disgusting confirmation.”
- 'Hush child': Ted Cruz's latest patronizing tweet goes up in flames on ... ›
- Security called at Montana airport after Ted Cruz 'got into a ... ›
- Report reveals how Ted Cruz found a way around this campaign ... ›
- Ted Cruz’s mentor believes senator 'was the most influential figure in Congress' involved in MAGA riot - Alternet.org ›
- 'Came closer than widely realized': Ted Cruz worked 'directly with Trump' to try to overturn the election - Alternet.org ›
- 'Opportunistic illiberalism': Conservative National Review slams Ted Cruz over hypocritical attack on Biden’s SCOTUS nominee - Alternet.org ›