Watch: Peter Navarro torched by Ari Melber after claiming he only saw 'peaceful people' on Jan. 6
Peter Navarro, who served as White House trade advisor under former President Donald Trump, delivered an odd assessment of the Jan. 6 insurrection as he claimed to see “nothing but peaceful people” as the angry mob of Trump supporters stormed the U.S. Capitol.
On Friday, January 21, Navarro appeared on MSNBC with Ari Melber where he discussed the series of events that unfolded on that deadly day at the Capitol last year. While he did admit that it was wrong for Trump supporters to storm the Capitol, he also insisted that attendees “only wanted peace that day.”
According to HuffPost, Melber dived a bit deeper into Navarro’s assessment as he rolled a clip of Trump on Fox News suggesting that the violent mob that breached the federal building “were peaceful people. These were great people.”
Since Navarro acknowledged that the mob was wrong for breaching the building, Melber pressed the former Trump White House official to acknowledge that their actions were not peaceful.
He “falsely says they were peaceful. Do you acknowledge they were not?” Melber pressed.
Navarro attempted to downplay what transpired. “I ran the [National] Mall that day ... I saw nothing but peaceful people walking along up to that Capitol,” he said. “I did not personally observe storming the gates there.”
Melber continued, “But you’ve seen the tape. You know what happened. You know Donald Trump lied about it.”
At that point, Navarro pivoted to a different argument. “Where were the Capitol Police?” Navarro asked.
However, Melber did not back down. In fact, his response further refuted Navarro’s claim about the so-called peaceful mob. “The Capitol Police were being beaten and attacked by Trump fans,” Melber said. “I think you know that.”
- Top Trump aide: Vaccinating children is 'child abuse at a minimum ... ›
- 'Do you realize you're describing a coup?' Peter Navarro gets ... ›
- Peter Navarro reveals new shocking detail about his and Steve ... ›
- 'One step closer to a jail cell': Former federal prosecutor says Peter Navarro's MSNBC interview went 'very badly' - Alternet.org ›
- Watch: MSNBC’s Ari Melber torches Tucker Carlson — and highlights the only case where he makes excuses for mass shooters - Alternet.org ›