Jamie Raskin throws Jim Jordan's words from Benghazi back in his face as he dodges the Jan. 6 probe
Rep. Jim Jordan (R-OH) was complying with requests from the House Select Committee investigating the Jan. 6 attack until former President Donald Trump told him to stop, Punchbowl News reported Monday.
But Rep. Jamie Raskin (D-MD), a member of the committee, told Jordan that he should refer back to his own words during one of the many Benghazi hearings his party held last decade.
Speaking to MSNBC's John Heilemann, Raskin quoted from a statement Jordan made about the Benghazi probe
"To answer Jim Jordan, I would quote Jim Jordan from the views that he expressed in the final Benghazi report, where he said that all of the truth must come out," said Raskin. "Everybody needs to testify, and nobody's got the right to hide anything from Congress. So, I think he had it right then. Jim Jordan, more than anybody else, knows what dogged, aggressive investigation is about, even when he's on a wild goose chase, he demands all the information he wants, and we're not on that. We are on the central investigative mission certainly of this decade, if not this century, to get to the bottom of this terrible political crime that was incited and to a substantial extent organized by Donald Trump."
He went on to say that the committee hasn't discussed what the next steps are for Jordan, whether he'll be referred to the Justice Department or be subpoenaed by the committee to turn over information.
"Article I of the Constitution gives each House of Congress the right to set the rules of its own proceedings," Raskin explained. "We are also -- have disciplinary power over members, including the power of censure, admonishment, all the way to expulsion from the body and the speech and debate clause says members of Congress should not be questioned for their legislative work and judgments outside of congress, clearly implying they can be questioned inside of Congress. And, of course, that's a habitual occurrence with the Ethics Committee where we call people all the time so there's nothing remotely extraordinary about the idea that we can call and demand the presence of members."
He went on to say that the implication that the investigation isn't legitimate "was soundly, thoroughly repudiated by the D.C. Circuit." If Congress doesn't have the power to research the attack on Congress "then there are no legitimate legislative purposes. So, we've got to put that lie to bed immediately."
See the discussion below:
Jamie Raskin throws Jim Jordan's words from Benghazi back in his face for Jan. 6 investigationwww.youtube.com
- WATCH: Matt Gaetz's extremist takeover remarks just backfired in a ... ›
- A 'nightmare scenario': Matt Gaetz faces criticism for disturbing 2022 ... ›
- 'Traitor' Jim Jordan mocked for refusing to comply with Jan. 6 ... ›
- Jan. 6 committee consulting with legal counsel on issuing subpoenas to members of Congress - Alternet.org ›
- 'Love and the Constitution': Rep. Jamie Raskin on son’s death, Trump’s coup plot and protecting the vote - Alternet.org ›
- 'Trump will get his comeuppance': Rep. Jamie Raskin promises consequences for Jan. 6 - Alternet.org ›
- Jamie Raskin boxes Republicans in before stomping the box - Alternet.org ›
- Jim Jordan attempts to spin a deal with House Select Committee in exchange for his cooperation: report - Alternet.org ›
- Matt Gaetz and Marjorie Taylor Greene: Jamie Raskin is a 'communist' and unfit to serve due to son's suicide - Alternet.org ›
- ‘All hearsay’: Attorney teaches Jim Jordan a hard lesson about spreading misinformation - Alternet.org ›
- Raskin: What Trump did 'makes the Watergate break-in look like the work of Cub Scouts' - Alternet.org ›
- 'Disturbed' Jim Jordan draws outrage after he deletes tweet calling story of 10-year-old rape victim 'another lie' - Alternet.org ›
- Jim Jordan accuses Democrats of trying to ‘pack’ the Supreme Court ‘with four left-wing Justices’ - Alternet.org ›
- Political analyst lays out the 'unholy trinity of bad things' crating midterm election problems for the GOP - Alternet.org ›
- A right-wing think tank claimed to be a church. Members of Congress want to investigate - Alternet.org ›
- 'A feature of democracy': Jim Jordan mocked over tweet that missed the mark on basic legal principles - Alternet.org ›
- 'Hero' and 'national treasure': Jamie Raskin lauded for fiery rebuke of GOP hostility to January 6th panel - Alternet.org ›
- Brutal St. Louis newspaper editorial pleads with Dems to save the country from GOP House 'toddlers' - Alternet.org ›
- Raskin says Electoral College is a 'danger' to democracy and should be abandoned - Alternet.org ›