'Kevin McCarthy said a lot of words': Jen Psaki wryly mocks GOP leader's extended floor speech
On Thursday night and into Friday morning, House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy spoke for more than eight hours in the hope of delaying a House vote on the Build Back Better Act of 2021 — which passed in the U.S. House of Representatives anyway and now goes to the U.S. Senate for consideration. McCarthy attacked Democrats for a variety of things during that speech, and during a press conference on Friday, White House Press Secretary Jen Psaki mocked him and criticized the speech as big on rhetoric but painfully short on substance.
.@PressSec: "Kevin McCarthy said a lot of words, a lot of words, I just want to emphasize that, over the course of eight-and-a-half hours." pic.twitter.com/rqg1hh5eNB
— CSPAN (@cspan) November 19, 2021
"Kevin McCarthy said a lot of words — a lot of words, I just want to emphasize that," Psaki told reporters. "For those of you who didn't watch all of it, he mused about, he shared his wish that he could've been in Tiananmen Square. He mused about whether or not Abraham Lincoln was actually assassinated. He shared his hope, or thought, or dream — I"m not sure — about picturing America in a swim meet with every other country after World War II."
She continued: "In eight and a half hours, what he did not talk about was cutting the cost of child care, cutting the cost of elder care, what we are going to do around the country to bring more women into the workforce — to protect our climate…. That, in our view, tells you all you need to know about Kevin McCarthy's agenda and what he supports."
- Ocasio-Cortez gives an impassioned speech blasting Kevin ... ›
- Kevin McCarthy gets blowback over his handling of Rep. Gosar's ... ›
- Even if Republicans retake the House in 2022, the right 'isn't fully ... ›
- All Republicans care about these days is trolling — and Kevin McCarthy is hilariously bad at it - Alternet.org ›
- Republicans vow revenge against Democrats if — or when — they regain power in Washington - Alternet.org ›
- Reporter details how Kevin McCarthy's attempt to control his party blew up in his face - Alternet.org ›
- Kevin McCarthy's plan to appease the radicals in his ranks is backfiring spectacularly - Alternet.org ›