George Conway slams 'bald-faced, disgraceful lie' from 'Eastman memo' author’s think tank employer
Legal expert George Conway is blasting the Claremont Institute for defending John Eastman (photo, with Giuliani on Jan. 6), the man who wrote the now-infamous "Eastman Memo" which many see as instructions to then-Vice President Mike Pence on how to overturn the 2020 presidential election on January 6.
"Claremont's statement that Eastman did not seek to have Vice President Pence unilaterally determine the validity of electoral votes and overturn the election is a bald-faced, disgraceful lie," says Conway, who successfully argued a case before the U.S. Supreme Court and won a unanimous decision, and had been under consideration to be Donald Trump's solicitor general or an assistant attorney general.
Conway was referring to a statement from the Claremont Institute, the pro-Trump conservative think tank where Eastman is employed as a senior fellow. Claremont has embraced right wing extremists, granting fellowships to Fox News' Laura Ingraham and Mark Levin, Daily Wire's Ben Shapiro, CRT conspiracist Christopher Rufo, and even Pizzagate conspiracy theorist Jack Posobiec.
The Washington Post Monday accused Claremont of trying to "whitewash" Eastman's "road map for overturning Trump's loss."
Eastman, who happens to be the chairman of the nearly-defunct anti-LGBTQ group National Organization For Marriage (NOM) and supported Uganda's efforts to jail LGBTQ people for life, was forced to "retire" as a law professor after blowback from speaking at Trump's pre-insurrection rally, ginning up the troops, and falsely claiming Trump had won the election.
In its statement defending Eastman today, Claremont decried "a recent combined disinformation, de-platforming, and ostracism campaign," also known as holding Eastman accountable by using his own words.
Here's Conway's tweet:
Claremont's statement that Eastman did not seek to have Vice President Pence unilaterally determine the validity of electoral votes and overturn the election is a bald-faced, disgraceful lie. Here's Eastman's memo:\nhttps://cdn.cnn.com/cnn/2021/images/09/20/eastman.memo.pdf\u00a0\u2026 https://twitter.com/claremontinst/status/1447557319580082181\u00a0\u2026pic.twitter.com/ZrsB4kAlj0— George Conway (@George Conway) 1633978649
- 'Disrespect for regularity': George Conway explains why 'no serious ... ›
- Watch George Conway realize Trump is a malignant narcissist ... ›
- George Conway, Steve Schmidt and Rick Wilson burn Trump and ... ›
- 'We'll never know how close we came': Journalist lays out dark details of Trump's attempted election theft - Alternet.org ›
- Why a right-wing think tank’s 'censorship' claims are nonsense: conservative - Alternet.org ›
- 'Increasingly desperate': Trump lawyer gets caught 'backpedaling' from his plot to overturn the 2020 election - Alternet.org ›
- Legal experts make a compelling case for investigation of Trump's 'coup memo' attorney - Alternet.org ›
- New video of pro-Trump lawyer is 'completely damning': legal expert - Alternet.org ›
- Trump attorney Eastman went directly to Arizona’s House speaker with his insurrectionist scheme: report - Alternet.org ›
- Trump lawyer Eastman takes Fifth Amendment in the face of a subpoena from the Jan. 6 committee - Alternet.org ›