A former aide to Clarence Thomas’ wife became a rising GOP star after admitting she 'hates Black people'
An unapologetic racist is on the fast track to becoming one of the Republican Party's rising stars. According to The Daily Beast, Crystal Clanton's sordid history in the public eye began in 2017 when she made headlines for infamously claiming, "I HATE BLACK PEOPLE. Like, fuck them all...I hate blacks. End of story."
That statement was one of many. According to The Daily Beast, Clanton previously worked as "second-in-command" at the far-right non-profit organization, Turning Point USA. But shortly after her remarks made headlines, she landed a job working for Ginni Thomas, the wife of U.S. Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas, the second Black person to serve on the bench.
After working for Thomas' right-wing media companies, Clanton moved on to George Mason University's Antonin Scalia Law School. Now, she will be clerking for federal appeals court judge William Pryor. Daily Beast (and former AlterNet) columnist Kali Holloway explains:
"It defies belief that Pryor — or Ginni Thomas or [TPUSA head] Charlie Kirk for that matter — was unaware of Clanton's views. Thomas hired Clanton right after her stint at TPUSA and kept her on, gushing about her on social media, despite negative coverage. Kirk suggested he was outraged after Clanton's racist texts leaked, but subsequent reporting showed she 'would exchange racist remarks regularly with other TPUSA staffers.' Federal clerkships like the one Clanton just landed with Judge Pryor are highly coveted and prestigious stepping stones and applicants are thoroughly vetted before being selected."
The Beast also notes Pryor had no problem hiring Clanton despite her blatantly racist remarks. "Clanton didn't cloak her racism in language that could later be disguised in any way; she made a statement that was deliberately clear about her hatred for Black folks," Holloway wrote.
She added, "Not only is Pryor cool with that, news of Clanton's selection hasn't seemed to upset anyone in the conservative sphere. If you need proof that conservatives across the board are OK with anti-Black racism and Islamophobia ... their deafening silence is exhibit A."
- Watch: Right-wing activist calls for Texans to be 'deputized' to protect ... ›
- Adviser to pro-Trump GOP group sent out a newsletter 'so racist' it ... ›
- 'I hate blacks': Report finds a federal judge is silent about a racist message from his clerk - Alternet.org ›
- Former top FBI official: 'Concerning' Ginni Thomas signed letter saying Jan. 6 participants 'have done nothing wrong' - Alternet.org ›
- Exposé reveals Ginni Thomas’ ties to 'many groups directly involved in controversial cases' before the Supreme Court - Alternet.org ›
- The pathway to impeaching Clarence Thomas begins here - Alternet.org ›
- Ginni Thomas is not the first controversial wife of a Supreme Court justice: author - Alternet.org ›