Ron DeSantis is openly recruiting anti-vaxxer cops — even though he ‘furiously’ denies it: report
During a recent interview with Fox News/Fox Business host Maria Bartiromo, far-right Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis indicated that he would welcome anti-vaxxer police in the Sunshine State — although he is now denying that he ever said that. Never Trump conservative Charlie Sykes, this week in his column for The Bulwark, examines what DeSantis had to say and shows why his words were damning.
"Over the weekend," Sykes explains, "Florida's Ron DeSantis suggested that his state would offer $5000 signing bonuses to out-of-state cops who left their jobs because they had defied vaccine mandates. Now, DeSantis is furiously insisting that he did no such thing."
After drawing criticism for his comments during the Bartiromo interview, Sykes notes, DeSantis walked them back and insisted, "It's for officers, period. It has nothing to do with their vaccination status."
This comes one day after FL\u2019s new political Surgeon General said masks aren\u2019t effective and that Governors and School Boards have no business imposing mandates.pic.twitter.com/pnV6tEqcf6— Ron Filipkowski (@Ron Filipkowski) 1634827208
But Sykes offers, with his column, a transcript of that interview, noting that DeSantis "talks about the bonuses quite clearly in the context of the vaccine mandates."
During the interview on "Sunday Morning Futures," Bartiromo asked DeSantis to weigh in on Chicago police officers who are "off the streets" after "defying the vaccine" in their city. DeSantis clearly believed that the anti-vaxxer police in Chicago were being treated unfairly, telling Bartiromo, "I can tell you, Maria, in Florida, not only are we going to want to protect the law enforcement and all the jobs. We're actually actively working to recruit out-of-state law enforcement, because we do have needs in our police and our sheriff's departments. So, in the next legislative session, I'm going to hopefully sign legislation that gives a $5000 bonus to any out-of-state law enforcement that relocates to Florida. So, NYPD, Minneapolis, Seattle, if you're not being treated well, we will treat you better here. You can fill important needs for us, and we'll compensate you as a result."
Sykes observes that DeSantis has had a "tortured balancing act on the vaccine issue," pandering to anti-vaxxers while insisting that he isn't against vaccines.
"Given the state of the GOP today," Sykes laments, "it may even be enough to propel him to the White House."
- Anti-vaxxers are becoming increasingly unhinged and 'violent ... ›
- How anti-vaxxers are finding 'clever workarounds' to Instagram's anti ... ›
- The anti-vaxxers' lies are collapsing around them as mandates ... ›
- Ron DeSantis unveils plan to establish a statewide election police force - Alternet.org ›
- ‘Conspiracy nuts’: DeSantis is in the hot seat after his aide gets caught pushing anti-Semitic theory - Alternet.org ›
- 'Incredibly irresponsible': GOP rep slammed for claiming new COVID strain is a Democratic plot - Alternet.org ›
- Anti-vaxxers are pushing this cocktail as a 'treatment’'for COVID-19 vaccines: report - Alternet.org ›
- How anti-vaxxers are making life total ‘hell’ for restaurant workers: report - Alternet.org ›
- 'A race to the bottom': House GOP gets slammed for ‘really disgraceful’ anti-vaccine tweet - Alternet.org ›
- Ann Coulter tells NY Times Trump 'is done' — and they should 'stop obsessing over him' - Alternet.org ›
- Paul Krugman: 'Antisocial' GOP policies are designed to make American lives 'nasty, brutish and short' - Alternet.org ›
- Watch: Ron DeSantis snaps at students for wearing masks - Alternet.org ›
- ‘Bully’ Ron DeSantis ‘mistakes bluster for bravery’ and is really a ‘coward’: journalist - Alternet.org ›
- ‘Blowhard jerk’ Ron DeSantis is the GOP’s best chance to ‘move on from Trump’: conservative - Alternet.org ›