Texas Gov. Greg Abbott quickly folds to Trump's pressure for a 'full forensic audit' in four states counties
Hours after former President Donald Trump demanded Texas conduct a "full forensic audit" of the 2020 presidential election, Gov. Greg Abbott (R) did his bidding, according to The New York Times.
On Thursday, September 22, the governor released a statement confirming an election audit would be conducted in "Texas' two largest Democrat counties and two largest Republican counties—Dallas, Harris, Tarrant, and Collin—for the 2020 election."
Although Tarrant County has typically been a Republican-controlled county, President Joe Biden turned the county blue for the 2020 presidential election.
The statement went on to explain the state's election laws and boundaries that allow for the audit to be conducted.
“Under existing Texas laws, the Secretary of State has the authority to conduct a full and comprehensive forensic audit of any election and has already begun the process in Texas’ two largest Democrat counties and two largest Republican counties—Dallas, Harris, Tarrant, and Collin—for the 2020 election,” the release said. “We anticipate the Legislature will provide funds for this purpose."
The Republican governor's decision came shortly after Trump penned a letter to him. According to NBC DFW, Trump demanded an audit even after acknowledging that he won the state by a substantial margin.
Trump wrote, "You know your fellow Texans have big questions about the November 2020 Election," Trump wrote to Abbott. "Despite my big win in Texas, I hear Texans want an election audit!"
Abbott's swift announcement has prompted widespread criticism and backlash. In fact, Harris County Judge Lina Hidalgo, member of the Democratic Party and the county's highest-ranking election official, wasted no time voicing her disapproval of Abbott's efforts. She also expressed concern about the United States' democracy.
“Donald Trump ordered Gov. Abbott to audit the 2020 Texas election and, like clockwork, TX just initiated an audit of Harris County voters," Hidalgo tweeted. "Democracy isn’t a game."
- #BoycottTexas movement targeting Lone Star State companies ... ›
- Texas GOP wants a forensic election audit — but there's a catch ... ›
- 'All about controlling women': Gov. Abbott slammed over tweet ... ›
- Who's actually funding the Arizona 'audit'? Trump supporters ... ›
- Abbott offers to staff his own armed force with fired Border Patrol agents if Biden punishes horsemen for inappropriate conduct - Alternet.org ›
- Texas Gov. Greg Abbott's office spiraled into chaos after being caught off-guard by Trump's demand for an election audit - Alternet.org ›
- Why 'turn Texas blue' won’t be a rally cry for 2022: analysis - Alternet.org ›