Stephen Colbert slams Ron DeSantis and gives Florida a mocking nickname as COVID ravages the state
Late night host Stephen Colbert has a mocking new nickname for the Sunshine State.
During Thursday night's monologue, Colbert expressed concern about a recent report on Florida's alarming surge in COVID cases, hospitalizations, and deaths that are being attributed to "unabated tourism and a disregard for basic health precautions."
While expressing his disapproval of Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis' (R) pandemic response and the chaotic COVID resurgence happening in his state, Colbert gave the state an ironic nickname.
"Coincidentally, that's also Florida's state motto," the "Late Show" Colbert quipped. "Sounds better in Latin."
New "Jeopardy!" Host Mired In Scandal Mere Days After Awarding Himself The Gigyoutu.be
Colbert also insisted that one of the (CDC) COVID mitigation recommendations could be: "Don't go to Florida."
Despite repeated warnings and intelligence about the uptick in COVID cases among all age groups in Florida, DeSantis has made many controversial efforts railing back against the CDC, public health and the rest of the scientific community. From banning mask mandates to condemning vaccination passports and masks in school, DeSantis appears to oppose every typical mitigation strategy used to combat the spread of COVID. His actions have also led to multiple lawsuits from advocacy groups and individuals who are deeply concerned about his decisions.
Colbert also highlighted a seemingly metaphoric image that showed Florida shoppers walking into a local store that looked like the mouth of a shark saying, "If only there was some kind of metaphor for willingly strolling into the jaws of doom."
- How 'Fake News' Exploded - and How to Tell When the Label Is ... ›
- Democrats have imposed a neo-McCarthyite 'loyalty test' to advance ... ›
- Ron DeSantis using same pandemic playbook that took down Trump: analysis - Alternet.org ›
- Florida caught using 'statistical sleight of hand' to create 'artificial decline' in COVID deaths: experts - Alternet.org ›
- Some Florida teachers got an unpleasant surprise when their bonus checks bounced: report - Alternet.org ›
- Watch: Stephen Colbert defends Big Bird from Ted Cruz’s ire with colorful 2-letter retort - Alternet.org ›
- Florida's board of education destroyed opportunities for disabled students in just 6 minutes - Alternet.org ›
- The GOP primary in this Florida congressional district has become a total circus: report - Alternet.org ›
- Stephen Colbert mocks bizarre Omicron conspiracy theory by turning the tables on anti-vaxxers - Alternet.org ›
- Ron DeSantis’ 'Stop WOKE' bill targets teachers — and it’s modeled after Texas' anti-abortion law - Alternet.org ›
- DeSantis accused of leveraging University of Florida trustees for $100K donations: report - Alternet.org ›
- A push to normalize Cuba relations is a ‘tacit acknowledgement’ that Florida ‘doesn’t matter’ to House Democrats: journalist - Alternet.org ›
- Palm Beach DA explains why Roe v. Wade could derail Ron DeSantis’ reelection hopes - Alternet.org ›
- Stephen Colbert called Trump 'Putin’s puppet' and slams Fox News over Capitol riots - Alternet.org ›