Ron DeSantis goes on the attack against Covid precautions — even as his state gets hit hard by the virus
Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) is railing against the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's (CDC) mask guidance as the Delta variant of COVID-19 spreads rapidly across the country.
On Wednesday, July 28, DeSantis delivered a 15-minute speech to the American Legislative Exchange Council in Salt Lake City, Utah. Speaking to a crowd of unmasked attendees, the Republican governor boasted about his decision to decline a mask mandate and school closures amid the alarming uptick in cases, according to the Salt Lake City Tribune.
"It is very important that we say unequivocally no to lockdowns, no to school closures, no to restrictions, and no to mandates," DeSantis said.
Although 20% of the new COVID cases have been reported in the state of Florida, alone, DeSantis has waved off the severity of the Delta variant insisting the country is facing "a summer COVID season."
DeSantis' remarks come as COVID misinformation continues to circulate on television and social media. While many people are frustrated with conservatives' pushback against masks, Republican lawmakers have flipped the script to blame the CDC.
Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis mocks new CDC recommendation on masks at Utah conference youtu.be
- 'Angry and ashamed': Florida doctors slam DeSantis for blocking ... ›
- Ron DeSantis faces backlash as pandemic rages in Florida ... ›
- Ron DeSantis under fire as Florida now accounts for 1 in 5 new US ... ›
- 'Sellout': Ron DeSantis faces backlash from anti-vax extremists as ... ›
- Ron DeSantis is leading Florida into utter destruction while COVID-19 cases spike to record level - Alternet.org ›
- 'It just went boom': Florida ICU's swamped with younger COVID victims - Alternet.org ›
- Palm Beach state attorney slams Ron DeSantis for playing politics while COVID-19 ravages his state - Alternet.org ›
- 'Money over lives': Daytona Beach newspaper slams Ron DeSantis for valuing 'political ambitions' over public health - Alternet.org ›
- Biden's education secretary vows to pay full salaries of Florida school officials if Ron DeSantis blocks pay over masks - Alternet.org ›
- Scathing ad from conservative group shows how badly Ron DeSantis' COVID-19 response has endangered Florida schoolchildren - Alternet.org ›