Matt Gaetz, Matt Schlapp and Dinesh D’Souza duped into posting tweets in honor of Lee Harvey Oswald
Writer Ken Klippenstein, over Memorial Day weekend, managed to reel in Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-Fla.), American Conservative Union Chairman chair Matt Schlapp, and conservative commentator Dinesh D'Souza into a ruse honoring Lee Harvey Oswald, the man who assassinated former President John F. Kennedy.
On Monday, May 31, Klippenstein asked Gaetz, "Congressman, my grandpa's a big fan of yours and is a veteran, he would be thrilled if you could RT this photo of him for Memorial Day. Here he is as a young Private First Class."
He added, "Happy Memorial Day."
Without researching the image, Gaetz retweeted Klippenstei's words along with the photo and a caption that read, "Wow [Ken Klippenstein] it's my honor to retweet the photo of a veteran on a day we remember his fallen friends. God bless your grandfather."
After some time, all three men deleted their posts, but the damage had already been done. Screenshots of the comical retweets are now going viral on Twitter. Users quickly identified the man in the photo as Oswald.
However, some actually came to the Florida lawmakers' defense, namely conservative commentator Candace Owens. She tweeted, "It is not 'political correctness' to have a soul and a modicum of decency. Reminder: These men died—the majority of them on foreign soil—so that you could be free. You do not photoshop murderers into their uniforms so that you can have a laugh."
But there was one major problem with Owens' criticism, as on Twitter user pointed out: "[Candace Owens] thinks [Ken Klippenstein] photoshopped the face of Lee Harvey Oswald onto a man in uniform, not knowing Oswald was actually a veteran and that the picture was him in uniform."
These aren't photoshopped.\n\nOswald enlisted in the United States Marine Corps on October 24, 1956.pic.twitter.com/lGrugy9lkv— D Villella \u2744\ufe0f (@D Villella \u2744\ufe0f) 1622513252
- Federal agents investigating Matt Gaetz obtained a search warrant ... ›
- Matt Gaetz investigation now includes public corruption allegations ... ›
- Matt Gaetz is so politically toxic that even Sean Hannity has ... ›
- Candace Owens faces $20 million defamation lawsuit: report - Alternet.org ›
- Candace Owens reportedly hit with 'sudden illness' — claims it's absolutely not COVID - Alternet.org ›
- Matt Gaetz’s $100,000 donation to a Chris Christie nonprofit ‘raises questions’: report - Alternet.org ›
- FBI investigating group headed by Trump confidant Matt Schlapp for possible campaign finance 'misdeeds': report - Alternet.org ›
- Matt Gaetz and Marjorie Taylor Greene's PAC has blown through all of its money in six months: report - Alternet.org ›
- 'A safe space for MAGA snowflakes': This far-right commentator’s Big Lie documentary is so bad even Fox News is ignoring it - Alternet.org ›
- 'A ton of damning evidence': Attorney slams DOJ for leaving Matt Gaetz alone in sex abuse case - Alternet.org ›
- 'I feel so dirty': Former Herschel Walker staffer alleges sexual harassment by CPAC organizer - Alternet.org ›
- ‘Are you uncomfortable?’: Details emerge in groping allegations by male staffer against CPAC’s Matt Schlapp - Alternet.org ›
- Text messages corroborate sexual assault allegations against CPAC Chairman Matt Schlapp - Alternet.org ›