A 'repeated target of violence': Rand Paul is blaming Richard Marx for a mysterious package that arrived at his doorstep
Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) was left flustered on Monday when a mysterious package of white power was left at his doorstep. Almost immediately after the discovery, he sounded off and pointed the finger because he believed he knew who was behind it: 80s pop singer Richard Marx.
In a statement to Politico, Paul sounded off about the package as he described himself as a "repeated target of violence." He also slammed Marx, whom he described as "a C-list" celebrity who is encouraging violence against him. According to Paul, a tweet Marx shared on Saturday likely influenced whoever left the package at his home.
"As a repeated target of violence, it is reprehensible that Twitter allows C-list celebrities to encourage violence against me and my family," Paul said in the statement to the publication. "Just this weekend Richard Marx called for violence against me and now we receive this powder-filled letter."
However, Marx argues otherwise. The "Right Here Waiting" singer insists his tweet was nothing more than "a wise-crack about Rand Paul's neighbor."
When a critic asked Marx about Paul's accusatory remarks, he fired back with a sarcastic statement of his own. "I'm the only person on Twitter who's ever referenced Rand Paul's neighbor," Marx tweeted, adding, "Must have been me."
According to The Washington Post, the package also included an image of Paul weraring a neck brace and had a message that read, "I'll finish what your neighbor started." The message was in reference to Paul's physical altercation with his neighbor Rene Boucher. In 2017, Paul and Boucher had "an argument over yard waste from the neighboring home." The incident escalated to a physical fight that left Paul with six broken ribs.
The current incident involving the mysterious package is being investigated by Capitol Hill police and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI).
- Rand Paul slammed for 'stupid' recommendation that Joe Biden ... ›
- Watch: Rand Paul laughs out loud about not wearing a mask on the ... ›
- Why Sen. Rand Paul says he will not get COVID-19 vaccine ... ›
- Twitter announces massive growth after banning Trump - Alternet.org ›
- Watch: Angry constituent curses out Rand Paul during town hall meeting - Alternet.org ›
- Watch: Rand Paul tells vaccinated Americans to 'mind your own business' - Alternet.org ›
- Rand Paul slammed for anti-vax 'mass murder' manifesto after claiming 'no one should follow CDC’ - Alternet.org ›
- Rand Paul explains why he believes scientists won't study Ivermectin as COVID treatment - Alternet.org ›
- 'Culture war BS': Rand Paul's 'gun wall' tweet backfires when Twitter flips the script on him - Alternet.org ›