Kevin McCarthy slammed for rejecting January 6 commission: 'Criminal won’t support investigation of his crimes'
Democrats in the U.S. House of Representatives, including House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, have been calling for a commission devoted to probing the January 6 assault on the U.S. Capitol Building. But House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy, obviously afraid of offending former President Donald Trump, has come out against such a commission.
The California Republican has said that any commission on political violence in the U.S. should also address violent acts by the left-wing groups, and his Democratic critics have responded that he is merely trying to obscure the role that Trump played in the January 6 insurrection.
On Twitter, The Dispatch's Haley Byrd Wilt posted:
Kevin McCarthy announces he won't support January 6 commission: https://t.co/ZYnK7A5kiC— Haley Byrd Wilt (@Haley Byrd Wilt) 1621342115.0
Read more about the commission here, just published. Chatted with 8 GOP senators about it last night. Dems don't ne… https://t.co/PQMFIck28M— Haley Byrd Wilt (@Haley Byrd Wilt) 1621342475.0
Here are some responses to McCarthy's position on the proposed January 6 commission:
Criminal won’t support investigation of his crimes. https://t.co/ASQO4uLKn5— Kaili Joy Gray (@Kaili Joy Gray) 1621342578.0
@byrdinator The GOP WILL sabotage it. They supported the seditious overthrow of democracy zzz Even the ones who pre… https://t.co/oUDWw1jNqc— Geoff (get vaccinated!) Nesnow (@Geoff (get vaccinated!) Nesnow) 1621345030.0
@Wissa38 @byrdinator Comes down to whether there are 60 votes in the Senate... I hope there are, but I'm not holding my breath.— Low Class Philly Sports Fan (@Low Class Philly Sports Fan) 1621342468.0
@byrdinator @kaitlancollins He must have talked with trump and was told what to say.— Claudia Wright (@Claudia Wright) 1621342357.0
@RigganRVA @byrdinator He’s a witness. Of course he doesn’t want to take the stand to testify to what Trump said t… https://t.co/OSahnqeGlp— Gorgonlin (@Gorgonlin) 1621342819.0
@byrdinator Man who helped start fire doesn’t support arson investigation…more at 6.— Meghan Callow (@Meghan Callow) 1621342483.0
@byrdinator “Shortsided scope” really just means that he wants to somehow blame Antifa for it— Brendel (@Brendel) 1621342593.0
- Here's why Republicans should be 'concerned' if Kevin McCarthy is ... ›
- 'Complicit': Liz Cheney nails Kevin McCarthy for withholding ... ›
- Kevin McCarthy's strange real estate saga: Where does he live ... ›
- Kevin McCarthy throws one of his own under a bus — and falls on his face - Alternet.org ›
- 35 House Republicans join Democrats to pass a Jan. 6 Commission — despite Trump's demands - Alternet.org ›
- There is one glaring reason why the GOP does not want a commission in place for the Jan. 6 insurrection - Alternet.org ›
- An old quote from Kevin McCarthy comes back to haunt him after he turns against the Jan. 6 commission - Alternet.org ›
- 'I haven't even read it': GOP senators are wary of the Jan. 6 commission — but they're clueless about it - Alternet.org ›
- The mythologizing of Jan. 6: How the right is playing the victim to rewrite the history of the Capitol riot - Alternet.org ›