McConnell claimed Democrats are 'addicted to divide and conquer.' Critics offered him a GOP history lesson
Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) is apparently still reeling from the shift in power that ultimately stripped Republicans of the Senate majority. Now, as he is accusing Democrats of being power-struck, Twitter users are reminding him of Republicans' embarrassing actions that led up to the U.S. Capitol riots.
On Thursday, April 2021, HuffPost reporter Igor Bobic tweeted highlights of the Republican lawmaker's lambasting remarks criticizing Democrats. According to Bobic, McConnell claimed that "President Joe Biden's "broad agenda was neither 'designed nor intended' to get bipartisan support."
The top-ranking Republican lawmaker also claimed that Democratic lawmakers "have become addicted to divide and conquer."
McConnell says Democrats "have become addicted to divide and conquer"— Igor Bobic (@Igor Bobic) 1619707663
Twitter users quickly reminded McConnell of the civil unrest that erupted at the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6 and who was responsible for it. Some also name-dropped former President Donald Trump as they recalled the great lengths he'd gone to stay in power and how some Republican leaders and lawmakers also aided in the fight to overturn the results of the election.
In addition to the insurrection, one Twitter user even highlighted the overall Republican agenda. "Grim Reaper whose agenda was: tax cuts for millionaires, packing the courts with right-wingers and obstructing functioning govt and denying Obama's nominees hearings/votes, says what?" one Twitter user asked.
@igorbobic Grim Reaper whose agenda was: tax cuts for millionaires, packing the courts with right wingers and obstr… https://t.co/wNH1PNTmhI— lawhawk #vaxxedforfamilyandcommunity (@lawhawk #vaxxedforfamilyandcommunity) 1619707951
@igorbobic Republican-elected officials need to catch up with their own Republican constituency…and their fellow Americans. 🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸— Steve Culbertson 🌻 (@Steve Culbertson 🌻) 1619709807
As McConnell complains, the U.S. Department of Justice and the (FBI) are still investigating the insurrection on the U.S. Capitol. Hundreds of attendees are currently facing criminal charges.
- 'What's going on?' Mitch McConnell refuses to explain to voters why ... ›
- Mitch McConnell slammed for repeatedly sabotaging stimulus ... ›
- Mitch McConnell's secret weakness is now exposed — and he can't ... ›
- Why Mitch McConnell is about to destroy the GOP - Alternet.org ›
- How the GOP managed to pack the court for decades - Alternet.org ›
- This Democratic strategist sees signs that the party is on the verge of losing power for 'the next decade' - Alternet.org ›
- Democrats must embrace the power they have to save democracy — or risk losing both - Alternet.org ›