Kristi Noem mocked after admitting she's 'shocked' Biden's infrastructure plan includes money for 'housing and pipes'
South Dakota Gov. Kristi Noem (R) is standing with Republicans who have condemned President Joe Biden's infrastructure proposal and its massive price tag but in the midst of bashing the president's proposed plan, Twitter users realized she does not have a clear idea of what infrastructure actually is.
On Wednesday, March 31, the South Dakota governor appeared on Fox News with host Sean Hannity where she was asked about the Biden administration's infrastructure plan and other proposed projects.
Noem quickly sounded off with critical remarks as she expressed disapproval of the plan's price tag — a common complaint many Republicans have noted. Then she moved on to admit that she was "shocked" the president's infrastructure plan also aims to address problems with "housing and pipes."
"I was on a call with the White House today with all of the governors talking about the specifics of this package and I was shocked by how much doesn't go into infrastructure," Noem said. "It goes into research and development. It goes into housing and pipes and different initiatives, green energy. And it really is not an honest conversation we're having about what this proposal is."
By definition and categorization, housing and pipes can also be defined as infrastructure. According to the Oxford Learners Dictionary, infrastructure is considered "the basic systems and services that are necessary for a country or an organization to run smoothly, for example, buildings, transport and water and power supplies."
The governor's blunder was not missed by social media users. Many Twitter users quickly surmised that Noem has no idea what infrastructure is.
Noem: I was shocked by how much doesn’t go into infrastructure... It goes into housing and pipes... https://t.co/eQFej2gzkE— Acyn (@Acyn) 1617239719
@semperdiced @KristiNoem : in·fra·struc·ture noun: the basic physical and organizational structures and facilit… https://t.co/XoatZHEqLj— Winston Wolfe (@Winston Wolfe) 1617253712
Tonight on cable news... One of the left’s stars, @aoc, explained in detail how trillions of dollars could be depl… https://t.co/hqrCGhkfIU— Mehdi Hasan (@Mehdi Hasan) 1617250802
Many Twitter users also advised Noem to do a little research to learn the basic definition of infrastructure and what it entails.
- Why the right wing is turning on Kristi Noem - Alternet.org ›
- Gov. Kristi Noem's star status in the GOP is rapidly dwindling: report ... ›
- The nation's worst COVID governor? Trump superfan Kristi Noem is ... ›
- The GOP has a plan to fight Joe Biden's infrastructure push — there's just one big problem - Alternet.org ›
- Here's why Biden doesn't want to sound like Trump - Alternet.org ›
- Progressives to Biden: 'You are making a huge mistake' by weakening infrastructure proposal - Alternet.org ›
- Kristi Noem goes full MAGA with lawsuits against Biden’s administration: report - Alternet.org ›
- Here's how to pass infrastructure: a little old-fashioned politics - Alternet.org ›
- Singer Reba McEntire distances herself from South Dakota GOP Gov. Kristi Noem - Alternet.org ›
- GOP admits they're plotting to kill Biden's infrastructure plan — with help from Manchin and Sinema - Alternet.org ›
- How a bipartisan infrastructure plan 'would facilitate a Wall Street takeover' - Alternet.org ›
- 'Fascist victim complex': Ocasio-Cortez ridicules Kellyanne Conway as she clings to government post - Alternet.org ›
- 'Pushing the limit': Kristi Noem investigated for spending taxpayer funds on plane to see her son go to prom - Alternet.org ›
- North Dakota Republican floats fining state-funded groups $1,500 if they use 'wrong' pronouns - Alternet.org ›
- Kristi Noem levels attack at Jan. 6 committee — accuses panel of hacking her phone - Alternet.org ›
- South Dakota AG and governor threaten felony charges for pharmacists prescribing abortion pills - Alternet.org ›
- Watch: Kristi Noem argues NRA is diverse, then the camera reveals otherwise - Alternet.org ›
- Kristi Noem pushes for South Dakota college board to prohibit drag shows, pronoun preferences on campuses - Alternet.org ›
- Philadelphia highway collapse could impact major interstate 'for a long time' - Alternet.org ›
- Why the GOP is trying to take credit for union workers’ infrastructure victory - Alternet.org ›