This columnist pulls the mask off far-right Sen. Josh Hawley as he tries to play the victim
During a Thursday-night appearance on Fox News this week, Republican Sen. Josh Hawley of Missouri railed against the "woke corporations" that have been speaking out against Georgia's new voter suppression law. Georgia-based companies like Delta Airlines and Coca-Cola have been among the law's outspoken opponents, and Major League Baseball has decided to move its 2021 All-Star Game from Georgia to Colorado because of the law — all of which infuriates Hawley. Liberal Washington Post opinion writer Greg Sargent is vehemently critical of Hawley's comments in his Friday column, stressing that although the far-right Republican senator promotes himself as a populist, there is nothing populist about voter suppression.
On Fox News, the-far Hawley complained, "What's happening in Georgia is what they tried to do to those of us who stood up for election integrity back in January. Anyone who has said that our elections need to be free, they need to be fair, we need to consider election reform — they try to cancel you. And now, the woke corporations are trying to do the same thing to Georgia. And they're going to try to do it to anybody, any state, any person who stands up for election integrity."
Hawley was trying to paint himself as a victim. But as Sargent points out, the far-right Missouri senator was being very anti-democracy when he refused to honor the results of the 2020 presidential election — and he is being just as anti-democracy now by supporting voter suppression in Georgia.
"Hawley is referencing his lead role in the campaign to subvert President Biden's electors in Congress," Sargent explains. "Hawley has insisted he was merely 'representing' constituents concerned about the 2020 election. In fact, he actually misled them with extraordinary cynicism, by sustaining the deception that the outcome was questionable and might be reversed."
Sargent continues, "After those lies inspired the violent assault on the Capitol, Hawley took scalding criticism, which he has now tossed into the right-wing media victimization machine — magically converting it into an effort to 'cancel' him. But this really shows how repugnant this current crusade really is."
The columnist goes on to slam Hawley and other Republicans for speaking of "election integrity" when their real goal is suppressing Democratic voters.
"Republicans are justifying their voter suppression efforts everywhere with this Orwellian 'election integrity' phrase," Sargent observes. "But far from seeking 'free' and 'fair' elections, as Hawley says, they're designed to place hurdles in the way of voting, based on the ubiquitous claim that GOP voters need 'confidence' restored — which is disingenuous nonsense."
- 'Dumbest man in America': Joe Scarborough mocks Josh Hawley ... ›
- Josh Hawley blasted for sitting in Senate gallery 'with his feet up ... ›
- Ted Cruz and Josh Hawley plotted to block Biden's Cabinet ... ›
- Josh Hawley proves appalling politicians can get a 'fundraising and media boost' from their infamy: journalist - Alternet.org ›
- 'Fascist traitor' Josh Hawley blasted for posing with troops protecting Capitol: 'You are the Reason they have to be there' - Alternet.org ›
- Josh Hawley's latest attempt to rebrand himself is a sad 'joke': columnist - Alternet.org ›
- Josh Hawley slammed for being the only senator to vote against new hate crimes bill - Alternet.org ›
- Republican state senator reportedly banned from an airline for fighting mask policy - Alternet.org ›
- Josh Hawley brutally mocked for railing against big tech while using big tech to promote his book - Alternet.org ›
- Josh Hawley has invested 'tens of thousands of dollars' in the 'very tech companies he denounces' - Alternet.org ›
- 'Unquenchable thirst for Fox News appearances': Josh Hawley's hometown paper slams vote against anti-hate crime bill - Alternet.org ›
- 'We're hosting you': Washington Post reporter hits back at Josh Hawley after he accuses her of trying to 'cancel' him - Alternet.org ›
- Here's the satirical Josh Hawley insurrection flyer that almost caused on Stanford law student to lose his degree - Alternet.org ›
- Josh Hawley invoked MLK to grandstand against 'critical race theory.' It did not go well - Alternet.org ›
- Josh Hawley demands Canada be added to religious freedom watch list - Alternet.org ›
- Watchdog says insurrectionist lawmakers should be barred from public office — including Trump - Alternet.org ›
- Fox News promoted a study warning about kids wearing masks — but it just got retracted by a medical journal - Alternet.org ›