Matt Gaetz gives a bizarre answer to allegations that he's being investigated for suspected sex trafficking
Florida Republican Rep. Matt Gaetz is under investigation for potentially violating sex trafficking laws, according to a new report Tuesday from the New York Times.
Officials are reportedly investigating his relationship with a 17-year-old girl and whether he had sex with her and paid for her to take take trips with him. It is a federal crime to use money to get an underage person to cross state lines for sexual purposes.
"It was not clear how Mr. Gaetz met the girl, believed to be 17 at the time of encounters about two years ago that investigators are scrutinizing, according to two of the people," the report said. "The investigation was opened in the final months of the Trump administration under Attorney General William P. Barr, the two people said. Given Mr. Gaetz's national profile, senior Justice Department officials in Washington — including some appointed by Mr. Trump — were notified of the investigation, the people said."
Earlier on Tuesday, Axios had reported that Gaetz has considered stepping down from Congress early to join the right-wing outlet Newsmax. It's not clear if such considerations are related to the investigation reported by the Times.
The Times reported that the investigation of Gaetz grew out from a "broader investigation into a political ally of his, a local official in Florida named Joel Greenberg, who was indicted last summer on an array of charges, including sex trafficking of a child and financially supporting people in exchange for sex, at least one of whom was an underage girl."
Greenberg shared a picture on Twitter with Gaetz at the White House in June 2019, as the Times pointed out. He has pleaded not guilty to the charges against him.
Gaetz gave a bizarre and puzzling response to the Times when asked about the case, seeming to confirm at least some parts of the report:
Mr. Gaetz said in an interview that his lawyers had been in touch with the Justice Department and that they were told he was the subject, not the target, of an investigation. "I only know that it has to do with women," Mr. Gaetz said. "I have a suspicion that someone is trying to recategorize my generosity to ex-girlfriends as something more untoward."
After this piece and the Times story were initially published, Gaetz gave more extended comments to Axios.
"I have definitely, in my single days, provided for women I've dated. You know, I've paid for flights, for hotel rooms. I've been, you know, generous as a partner. I think someone is trying to make that look criminal when it is not," he said. He added that "absolutely" none of the women were underage."
"The allegations of sexual misconduct against me are false," he told reporter Jonathan Swan. "They are rooted in an extortion effort against my family for $25 million … in exchange for making this case go away."
- Democrat rips GOP's Matt Gaetz as 'most punchable face in ... ›
- National security expert appalled by Matt Gaetz cell phone stunt: 'I ... ›
- Former Kentucky Gov. Matt Bevin under investigation by the FBI for ... ›
- Matt Gaetz claims $25 Million 'extortion effort' against his 'family' in response to allegations of sexual relationship with teen - Alternet.org ›
- Investigation into Matt Gaetz approved at 'highest levels’ of DOJ and began 'last summer': NY Times reporter - Alternet.org ›
- 'Extortion is not a defense!' Florida prosecutor explains why Matt Gaetz can’t talk his way out of trouble - Alternet.org ›
- This creepy Matt Gaetz tweet about age in Florida really didn't 'age well' - Alternet.org ›
- Here are 7 new bombshell details from the complex and unraveling Matt Gaetz investigation story - Alternet.org ›
- Fox News immediately rejects notion Matt Gaetz will work there - Alternet.org ›
- 'Flailing Around on Fox News': Ex-DOJ officials slam Matt Gaetz as 'panicking': 'Desperately needs a lawyer’ - Alternet.org ›
- 'Complete smokescreen': Gaetz slammed with 'four Pinocchios' for claim records prove he didn’t travel with 17-year old - Alternet.org ›
- Pensacola law firm fires back at Gaetz: Extortion claims are 'both false and defamatory' - Alternet.org ›
- Matt Gaetz showed nude pics of women he said he slept with to GOP members of Congress: report - Alternet.org ›
- Matt Gaetz under mounting pressure as his former 'wingman' is expected to plead guilty - Alternet.org ›
- Ethics Committee launches broad investigation into Matt Gaetz - Alternet.org ›
- New report reveals chat logs showing Matt Gaetz ally 'in a panic' over the federal investigation - Alternet.org ›
- Federal agents investigating Matt Gaetz obtained a search warrant and seized his phone: report - Alternet.org ›
- New report says Matt Gaetz looks like a 'desperate man' who may be 'increasingly isolated' - Alternet.org ›
- Matt Gaetz investigation now includes public corruption allegations: report - Alternet.org ›
- Ex-Kentucky gov under investigation for pardoning convicted killer whose family hosted a fundraiser for him - Alternet.org ›