Kamala Harris expresses 'solidarity' with Asian-American community following horrific Atlanta spa shootings
The Atlanta area was rocked by disturbing violence this week when a shooter carried out a series of attacks on Asian spas, killing eight people — six of whom were Asian. Police have found a suspect: 21-year-old Robert Aaron Long, although the shootings are still being investigated. Vice President Kamala Harris discussed the attack during a news briefing on Wednesday, expressing her solidarity with the United States' Asian-American community.
The vice president told reporters, "I do want to talk about what happened in Georgia, in Atlanta. It is tragic. Our country, the president and I and all of us, we grieve for the loss. Our prayers are extended to the families of those who have been killed. It speaks to a larger issue, which is the issue of violence in our country and what we must do to never tolerate it and to always speak out against it."
"We stand with you and understand how this has frightened and shocked and outraged all people, but, knowing the inc… https://t.co/wzNVrLodmO— ABC News (@ABC News) 1616003993
The suspect, 21-year-old Robert Aaron Long, of Woodstock, Georgia, is charged with four counts of murder and one co… https://t.co/5wZImlEi7k— ABC News (@ABC News) 1615995006
The 56-year-old vice president, herself the daughter of immigrants — a mother from India and a father from Jamaica — continued, "The investigation is ongoing. We don't yet know, we're not yet clear about the motive. But I do want to say to our Asian-American community that we stand with you and understand how this has frightened and shocked and outraged all people. But knowing the increasing level of hate crime against our Asian-American — our brothers and sisters — we also want to speak out in solidarity with them and acknowledge that none of us should ever be silent in the face of any form of hate."
- Kamala Harris has a big role in Biden's administration — and a new ... ›
- Lindsey Graham: 'I don't see how Kamala Harris doesn't get ... ›
- Devin Nunes bizarrely suggests Kamala Harris is behind secret plot ... ›
- Politico reporter backs down after facing Twitter storm for sexist ... ›
- Kamala Harris stuns a GOP senator into silence on live TV for ... ›
- The truth about the Atlanta shooter's supposed excuses - Alternet.org ›
- Fox News slammed for whitewashing Georgia Spa Shooter as "'remorseful' sex addict?" - Alternet.org ›
- American crisis: The horrific Atlanta killings shows a democracy still under threat - Alternet.org ›
- Experts slam Fox News for wrongly attacking VP Harris for 'repeatedly failing to salute military' - Alternet.org ›
- Asian US military veteran shares dramatic image of his patriotism: 'I served this country for your freedom' - Alternet.org ›