Andrew Cuomo offers restrained apology after accused of sexual harassment — but refuses to resign
In his first public appearance after three women stepped forward to accuse him of sexual misconduct, harassment, or inappropriate behavior New York Governor Andrew Cuomo apologized but said he is not going to resign at this time.
"I'm sorry," Cuomo said after his coronavirus briefing, the first in several days. He said he had no idea he was making anyone feel uncomfortable. He repeatedly said he was "embarrassed."
Asked if he should step aside, "I'm going to cooperate with the Attorney General investigation," Cuomo told reporters.
"I never touched anyone inappropriately. I never knew, at the time, that I was making anyone feel uncomfortable," Cuomo said, again repeatedly apologizing.
Some are pointing to this photo as evidence his "usual custom," was inappropriate.
Fox News notes "nearly 30 Democratic and Republican New York lawmakers have stated that Cuomo should either resign or face impeachment."
One of the three women says the harassment occurred a 2019 wedding reception. Anna Ruch says Cuomo asked if he could kiss her after touching her inappropriately.
"Mr. Cuomo put his hand on Ms. Ruch's bare lower back, she said in an interview on Monday," The New York Times reports.
"When she removed his hand with her own, Ms. Ruch recalled, the governor remarked that she seemed 'aggressive' and placed his hands on her cheeks. He asked if he could kiss her, loudly enough for a friend standing nearby to hear. Ms. Ruch was bewildered by the entreaty, she said, and pulled away as the governor drew closer."
"I was so confused and shocked and embarrassed," said Ms. Ruch, whose recollection was corroborated by the friend, contemporaneous text messages and photographs from the event. "I turned my head away and didn't have words in that moment."
- New York attorney general launches new probe of disturbing ... ›
- 'The illness is death!' NY Gov. Andrew Cuomo unloads on reporter ... ›
- Andrew Cuomo lashes out at investigation threat as he comes under ... ›
- Cuomo must go: Calls grow to remove NY governor over COVID nursing home cover-up and sexual harassment - Alternet.org ›
- The big problem with Andrew Cuomo's apology - Alternet.org ›
- The floodgates open on New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo and calls to resign pour out from big names - Alternet.org ›
- 'I'm not going to resign:’ Cuomo defies calls to step down as the tide against him swells - Alternet.org ›