Giuliani attempted to dodge being served with $1 billion Dominion Voting Systems lawsuit: report

Giuliani attempted to dodge being served with $1 billion Dominion Voting Systems lawsuit: report
President Donald J. Trump recognizes former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani prior to signing H.R. 1327; an act to permanently authorize the September 11th Victim Compensation Fund Monday, July 29, 2019, in the Rose Garden of the White House. (Official White House Photo by Joyce N. Boghosian)
Rudy Giuliani unleashes bigoted, conspiratorial rants on his radio show

Rudy Giuliani, the personal attorney to former President Donald Trump, reportedly made efforts to avoid being served with the billion-dollar lawsuit filed against him by Dominion Voting Systems.

According to the New York Daily News, Dominion resorted to employing the help of process servers to hand-deliver the voting technology company's 107-page lawsuit after Giuliani repeatedly ignored requests to accept the legal correspondence via email.

Tom Clare, one of the attorneys for Dominion, released a statement about Giuliani's repeated failures to respond and how they managed to move forward with the suit.

"After not responding to requests to waive service, Mr. Giuliani evaded in-person service of process for nearly a week. It took numerous attempts, at both his home and office, before we were able to successfully serve Mr. Giuliani on February 10. Mr. Giuliani's repeated false claims about Dominion have been immeasurably damaging; this service of process is one more step forward in our pursuit of justice," said Clare.

The publication reports that process servers were forced to go to great lengths to serve Giuliani. On Feb. 7. the process servers reportedly confronted the former New York City mayor during a bitter winter storm.

"That morning, the doorman to the building waved to a Ford Explorer SUV parked down the street. Giuliani got in the passenger seat and closed the SUV door as a process server lunged forward with a bag full of documents."

At the time, Giuliani criticized the servers for their method of delivery saying, "This is not the way it's supposed to be done. You should have gone to my office."

However, despite the latest report, Giuliani claims he welcomed the legal battle after Dominion's lawsuit filing was made public. Giuliani previously said, "Dominion's defamation lawsuit for $1.3 billion will allow me to investigate their history, finances, and practices fully and completely."

New York Daily News reached out to Giuliani for comment. However, as of Tuesday, Feb. 23, he has not yet responded to that request.

Enjoy this piece?

… then let us make a small request. AlterNet’s journalists work tirelessly to counter the traditional corporate media narrative. We’re here seven days a week, 365 days a year. And we’re proud to say that we’ve been bringing you the real, unfiltered news for 20 years—longer than any other progressive news site on the Internet.

It’s through the generosity of our supporters that we’re able to share with you all the underreported news you need to know. Independent journalism is increasingly imperiled; ads alone can’t pay our bills. AlterNet counts on readers like you to support our coverage. Did you enjoy content from David Cay Johnston, Common Dreams, Raw Story and Robert Reich? Opinion from Salon and Jim Hightower? Analysis by The Conversation? Then join the hundreds of readers who have supported AlterNet this year.

Every reader contribution, whatever the amount, makes a tremendous difference. Help ensure AlterNet remains independent long into the future. Support progressive journalism with a one-time contribution to AlterNet, or click here to become a subscriber. Thank you. Click here to donate by check.

DonateDonate by credit card

Close

Thanks for your support!

Did you enjoy AlterNet this year? Join us! We're offering AlterNet ad-free for 15% off - just $2 per week. From now until March 15th.