'So much for unity': GOP senators voting against Pete Buttigieg get slammed on Twitter
Pete Buttigieg has just been confirmed as President Joe Biden's Secretary of Transportation in a bipartisan 86-13 vote. Secretary Buttigieg becomes the first openly gay Cabinet Secretary in American history.
His nomination should have been extremely non-controversial, yet 13 members of the U.S. Senate, all Republicans, could not bring themselves to vote for the 39-year old former South Bend, Indiana mayor.
Buttigieg is a Rhodes Scholar and graduate of both Harvard and Oxford. He served his country in Afghanistan, as a Lieutenant in the U.S. Navy and Navy Reserves.
Apparently none of his accomplishments mattered to the 13 Senators: Ted Cruz, Tom Cotton, Roger Marshall, Rick Scott, Tommy Tuberville, Richard Shelby, Josh Hawley, Marsha Blackburn, Marco Rubio, Tim Scott, James Lankford, Bill Hagerty, and Bill Cassidy.
They are now being lambasted on social media. Here's a sampling of reactions:
Funny story... All these Republicans who voted Nay to Pete Buttigieg as Sec of Transportation, who also were senato… https://t.co/8M9Q897Mwp— Jeff Labrecque (@Jeff Labrecque)1612292857.0
Moments ago, the Senate voted to confirm Pete Buttigieg as Secretary of Transportation in an 86-13 vote. The opposi… https://t.co/I6qZNUiBMM— Chris🗳Luongo (@Chris🗳Luongo)1612289869.0
Pete Buttigieg is confirmed as Secretary of Transportation. AND, 13 SEDITIOUS Senators voted no. No surprise there.— Donna (@Donna)1612287652.0
All 13 of the Senators who voted against Pete Buttigieg’s nomination as Secretary of Transportation were Republican… https://t.co/2PN6TLEMYG— Gary Dunavant (@Gary Dunavant)1612292865.0
You voted against Pete Buttigieg's confirmation. You sicken and disgust me, and I am heartily sorry that you are my… https://t.co/PYkQYWOZ4V— Julie Mae🇺🇲🌊 (@Julie Mae🇺🇲🌊)1612293104.0
How could any of these GOP lunatics not support Buttigieg. Aren't these the same idiots asking for Unity? Did the… https://t.co/8osmOezDnc— 🇺🇸 Fintech 🇺🇸 Geek 🇺🇸 Dion Lisle (@🇺🇸 Fintech 🇺🇸 Geek 🇺🇸 Dion Lisle)1612291616.0
Pete Buttigieg: Vet Intelligent Likeable Multilingual All things you want in a member of a president’s cabinet. Ga… https://t.co/qBrqN2lqIY— KP (@KP)1612292498.0
We will remember these names! GOP voting against Buttigieg confirmation: Hawley Blackburn Rubio Tim Scott Rick Sco… https://t.co/I9aSszZKZ4— Beth Stevens (@Beth Stevens)1612291924.0
@GeoffRBennett @contrarymary197 They are all nothing but a bunch of homophobic bigots! I hope to live to see the da… https://t.co/rNyzrh9LlJ— Sky Surfer (@Sky Surfer)1612294227.0
Of course, @TTuberville votes against Sec. Buttigieg in another embarrassing display of partisan rancor. Pete got o… https://t.co/OucnYp0JwX— Jason Fisher (@Jason Fisher)1612291182.0
Well of course the three “no” votes on Buttigieg’s nomination Wednesday were cast by Republican Sens. Marsha Blackb… https://t.co/aGiicQswqn— Jay Michael Brook (@Jay Michael Brook)1611955366.0
- Right-wing pundit goes after Pete Buttigieg and tries to shame him ... ›
- Biden to nominate Pete Buttigieg for transportation secretary: report ... ›
- Watch: Pete Buttigieg nails another Fox News interview — right ... ›
- Republican senator says Trump's lawyers seemed almost 'embarrassed' by their arguments - Alternet.org ›
- GOP senator's attack on Democrats'voting rights bill hilariously backfires: 'Truest thing you have said' - Alternet.org ›
- 'Constantly rubbing dirt in our face': GOP senators complain Biden keeps passing bills without them - Alternet.org ›
- A GOP senator's dumb, reckless, and immoral words reflect a disturbing fact about the American mind - Alternet.org ›
- Marco Rubio slammed for threatening companies he claims are 'bending a knee to woke progressive craziness' - Alternet.org ›
- Tim Scott says he realized the 'beauty' of cops after being pulled over 18 times for 'driving while Black' - Alternet.org ›
- This quote from a top Republican exposes how the party's unity is built on a house of cards - Alternet.org ›