Liz Cheney promises 'many, many criminal investigations' into Trump's 'assault' on the US Capitol
Rep. Liz Cheney (R-WY) on Sunday said that she expects "many, many criminal investigation" into former President Donald Trump's role in inciting a violent insurrection on January 6.
During an interview on Fox News Sunday, host Chris Wallace asked Cheney, who voted to impeach Trump, if she would also vote to convict the former president of insurrection if she were a U.S. senator.
"I would listen to the evidence," Cheney said. "The Senate trial is snapshot. There's a massive criminal investigation underway. There will be a massive criminal investigation of everything that happened on Jan. 6 and in the days before."
"People will want to know exactly what the president was doing," she continued. "They will want to know, for example, if the tweet he sent out calling Vice President Pence a coward while the attack was underway, whether that tweet, for example, was a premeditated effort to provoke violence. There are a lot of questions that have to be answered and there will be many, many criminal investigations looking at every aspect of this and everyone who was involved."
She added: "We've never seen that kind of assault by a president of the United States on another branch of government and that can never happen again."
Over the weekend, members of Wyoming's Republican Party voted to censure Cheney for her vote to impeach Trump.
Watch the video below from Fox News.
- Republican Liz Cheney issues blistering statement on Trump — and ... ›
- Even arch-conservative Liz Cheney is now too liberal for some GOP ... ›
- Liz Cheney blasts Dems for targeting Marjorie Taylor Greene: GOP ... ›
- ‘Warmongering neoconservative’ Liz Cheney is right about impeachment — but awful in so many other ways: journalist - Alternet.org ›
- A new '9/11 Commission': Demands grow for a full investigation of the Capitol siege - Alternet.org ›
- Liz Cheney issues stark warning to GOP lawmakers about distancing party from white supremacy - Alternet.org ›
- Cheney rips Gosar for giving a speech at a recent conference organized by white nationalist - Alternet.org ›
- Trump probe investigating whether he lied about value of upstate New York estate to score tax breaks - Alternet.org ›
- 'One of his bigger legal nightmares': New York prosecutors reportedly zero in on a key Trump property - Alternet.org ›
- 'The walls seem to be rapidly closing in': Trump 'may be in real trouble' with the law, experts say - Alternet.org ›
- Former top prosecutor of Capitol rioters says Trump may be 'criminally culpable' for the insurrection - Alternet.org ›
- Poll shows people of the world think US significantly less awful now that Trump is gone - Alternet.org ›