'Sniveling suck-up' Marco Rubio faces furious backlash for 'spineless' tweet about pro-Trump Capitol violence
Sen. Marco Rubio (R-FL) was ripped apart for gently condemning his fellow lawmakers who helped provoke a violent takeover of the U.S. Capitol by lying about overturning President Donald Trump's election loss.
The Florida Republican declined to identify Sens. Josh Hawley (R-MO) or Ted Cruz (R-TX) for announcing they would object to Joe Biden's electors in some states Trump contested, although he blames the violence on those who promulgated the myth that Vice President Mike Pence could undo the election results.
"Some misled you," Rubio tweeted. "That the VP could reject ballots. That objections could pass or used as leverage to force an audit. They knew the truth but thought it was a great way to get attention & raise money."
Some misled you That the VP could reject ballots That objections could pass or used as leverage to force an aud… https://t.co/48s1T6Odwg— Marco Rubio (@Marco Rubio) 1610030027.0
Rubio limited replies to those he follows or mentioned, but that wasn't enough to withstand a blast of criticism.
Spineless, as always, on two fronts: 1. “Some” 2. Limiting replies to avoid getting ratio’d. Great work… https://t.co/xADDYGkPSi— Yashar Ali 🐘 (@Yashar Ali 🐘) 1610031100.0
@StevenTDennis Rubio refused to acknowledge the election results for weeks. He's complicit in this.— Aaron Huertas (@Aaron Huertas) 1610031389.0
I have searched in vain for any Rubio tweet pushing back against these deceptions when it could have mattered. I… https://t.co/yH3KR7MJj9— Eric Columbus (@Eric Columbus) 1610032008.0
@marcorubio i think it would be worthwhile to identify who the “some” and “they” are here. lies and deceit travel s… https://t.co/SA5cE3uaKX— Connor Cape (@Connor Cape) 1610030739.0
@marcorubio wow thanks for coming out so strong and so early in favor of truth marco— Joel Luther (@Joel Luther) 1610031289.0
Wow, “some” is really feeling the heat right now whoever that is https://t.co/bVp6KHUBxf— Benjy Sarlin (@Benjy Sarlin) 1610030900.0
@marcorubio You have enabled this by spreading rumors, fake news, and innuendo to your supporters. Take a look in t… https://t.co/vhyAxzUV3p— Joseph Gruber (@Joseph Gruber) 1610030698.0
One of the primary drivers of people believing the nonsense was that people who knew better didn't say anything unt… https://t.co/Pjif54jhC8— Kyle Cheney (@Kyle Cheney) 1610030991.0
@marcorubio Every network carried Mitt Romney’s speech live last night. Every network cut away from yours. Why? Bec… https://t.co/jNrIVbnrWc— Flavius Ricimer (@Flavius Ricimer) 1610031584.0
Cynical politicians chiding other cynical politicians for raising money off of cynical positions is a real look. https://t.co/bQm4wOjxLK— Jackie Kucinich (@Jackie Kucinich) 1610032050.0
Some? Are you freckin’ afraid to say Trump’s name? Anything in the Bible about being a sniveling suck-up to power,… https://t.co/xitMPXTMKG— David Corn (@David Corn) 1610031760.0
- Columnist brutally mocks Marco Rubio -- who has suddenly ... ›
- Marco Rubio accused Dr. Fauci and other 'elites' of 'tricking ... ›
- 'Triggered' Marco Rubio blasted for criticizing Biden official's ... ›
- 'Pro-insurrection' Marco Rubio goes down in flames for calling impeachment a 'waste of time' - Alternet.org ›
- Marco Rubio scorched for blaming media for QAnon Congresswoman's spread of conspiracy theories and lies - Alternet.org ›
- This is Trump's most damning tweet about the Capitol riots: Ex-GOP spokeswoman - Alternet.org ›
- Here's how Marco Rubio turned the Senate Intelligence Committee into a Trump defensive team - Alternet.org ›
- Marco Rubio mocked for bizarre claim about identifying UFOs flying over military bases - Alternet.org ›
- NY Times columnist slams Marco Rubio's 'sudden' anti-corporate posturing as 'toothless' and devoid of substance - Alternet.org ›
- Please enjoy this entertaining Marco Rubio meltdown - Alternet.org ›
- 'Coward': Dad of Parkland shooting victim slams Marco Rubio's remarks on 'fatherlessness' - Alternet.org ›