Some House Republicans refused to wear masks during the Capitol siege. At least 3 lawmakers have since tested positive for COVID
Following the January 6 siege of the U.S. Capitol Building by far-right extremists, Punchbowl Media reported that when members of Congress were in a secure location during that attack, "at least 50" House Republicans refused to wear masks — and Rep. Brad Schneider of Illinois, a Democrat, is the latest member of Congress who has since tested positive for the COVID-19 coronavirus. Others have included Rep. Pramila Jayapal and Rep. Bonnie Watson Coleman, both Democrats.
In an official statement, Schneider called out the Republicans who refused to wear a mask during the siege.
"Last Wednesday, after narrowly escaping a violent mob incited by the president of the United States to attack the Capitol Building and its occupants, I was forced to spend several hours in a secure but confined location with dozens of other members of Congress," Schneider explained. "Several Republican lawmakers in the room adamantly refused to wear a mask."
Schneider, in his statement, noted that Coleman is a "75-year-old cancer survivor."
A third member, Brad Schneider, has now tested positive. He also directly blames maskless Republicans in the secure… https://t.co/i2t2CPdCvb— Emily Cochrane (@Emily Cochrane)1610466902.0
Schneider went on to say, "We can no longer tolerate members (of Congress) coming to the floor or gathering in the halls of Congress without doing the bare minimum to protect those around them."
Jayapal is also blaming maskless GOP members of Congress for her COVID-19 diagnosis. The progressive Democratic congresswoman tweeted:
I just received a positive COVID-19 test result after being locked down in a secured room at the Capitol where seve… https://t.co/wq0N80x1rW— Rep. Pramila Jayapal (@Rep. Pramila Jayapal)1610430909.0
Only hours after Trump incited a deadly assault on our Capitol, many Republicans still refused to take the bare min… https://t.co/8TGl7My3jZ— Rep. Pramila Jayapal (@Rep. Pramila Jayapal)1610430910.0
Any Member who refuses to wear a mask should be fully held accountable for endangering our lives because of their s… https://t.co/kY72RtUVxe— Rep. Pramila Jayapal (@Rep. Pramila Jayapal)1610430910.0
I share the outrage and anger of those across America who have watched Trump fail to combat this raging pandemic an… https://t.co/Aq5my5Nqpi— Rep. Pramila Jayapal (@Rep. Pramila Jayapal)1610430910.0
- Many more people are dying than the official COVID-19 death ... ›
- Mayhem at the White House: Trump's COVID diagnosis exposes the ... ›
- Rep. Bonnie Watson goes to hospital for COVID after hiding from ... ›
- Watch: House impeachment managers' damning video links Trump's anti-democratic diatribe to the Capitol siege - Alternet.org ›
- Congress urged to take 'immediate action' to stop debt collectors from snatching COVID relief checks - Alternet.org ›
- New report unveils the brewing 'rebellion' in the ranks of House Republicans - Alternet.org ›
- GOP senator blocks Democratic effort to shield Covid relief payments from debt collectors - Alternet.org ›
- 145 House Republicans refuse to say whether they've been vaccinated against COVID-19 - Alternet.org ›
- Republicans dupe their low-information voters again — this time on the Capitol siege - Alternet.org ›
- Tucker Carlson demands viewers harass people wearing masks outside: 'It's repulsive!' - Alternet.org ›
- The ridiculous new fight about masks shows the hollow moral core of many media pundits - Alternet.org ›